Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Share In My Woes (Short Story)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,754Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I think my current mindset on the matter is a mix between most of you guys on here and ClassicPhilatelist. True, it's possible the stamp itself wasn't genuine, which makes me feel better. Also, for someone who claimed he wasn't interested in stamps to do all the digging, research, find a reputable dealer, etc., it's probably not likely. For that reason, I feel better on the matter. I also appreciate the support from you all in telling me not to worry about it. Plenty of fish in the sea, or stamps in the postal service so to speak.

Then again, there were the other 299 glassines. Granted, I saw a lot that were in fairly high scott numbers, but some mixed in with ones that clearly weren't, such as a group of 3 cent jacksons from the 1800's. And the glassines all had multiple stamps, so it was pretty silly for me to take that risk. One of the more bizarre glassines I could see in the box were two glassines of 2 cent Columbus stamps, with 100 stamps in each glassine. I haven't been collecting long, but I see no reason for someone to have that many 2 cent Columbus stamps unless he was a dealer, a careful philatelist, or a weirdo. Makes you wonder what kind of stamps in there might be genuine: maybe some more 1800's stamps of moderate value.

I don't have many hard feelings for the guy: I mean, he did find and buy the box at an estate sale, and he did do some digging upon my request. Then again, he did have the opportunity to simply leave a voicemail about how he wasn't selling the stamps, and instead left one saying to call him back just so he could brag about his finding on the phone and hang up. On that note, I hope they're all fake

Regardless, I still slept pretty well, haha.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by fini32 - 01/17/2019 9:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"One of the more bizarre glassines I could see in the box were two glassines of 2 cent Columbus stamps, with 100 stamps in each glassine. I haven't been collecting long, but I see no reason for someone to have that many 2 cent Columbus stamps unless he was a dealer, a careful philatelist, or a weirdo."
or a hoarder
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
... or a weirdo.

or a hoarder

Thank you for that distinction.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmmm...wasn't the recently recovered missing Jenny in a cigar box?

It was a box, but a safe deposit box.
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one found the year before - in Ireland - was in a cigar box. That was one of the ones that had been stolen.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fini32,
"...he was a dealer, a careful philatelist or a weirdo [or a hoarder]."

You say that like it's a bad thing? :D
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha I just had to throw in a little oomph to release some of the frustration. To each their own!
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 01/22/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, I just got an email from the man saying that he's sorted through the box and that the box is still available for- get this- the same price as before! No thank you sir. I'd rather not purchase your pre-sorted hand-me-down.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,754Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05