Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mulready Sent To A War Hero

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennyblackie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This Mulready cover was sent to a naval Captain who was knighted, fought in the Battle of Waterloo and the Battle of Navarin and had an illustrious military record. To think that I can own an envelope that he once held in his hands is a great honour.

You guys can guess who he is...

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful Cover pennybackie

Thanks for sharing it with us

Dianne
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful example of a one penny Mulready envelope, and a fairly early usage, just over three months after it was first issued. I googled the name and believe it was addressed to Captain James Ashley Maude, who. as you say was a war hero. I have a nice early cover like this, actually, a pre-stamp cover dated in 1830, and sent to a Captain Nairn, who lived in a part of South London where I once lived (which was the reason I bought the cover). I looked him up as well and discovered that his coat is on display at the Royal Naval Museum in Greenwch.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently, Captain James A. Maude delivered the ratified Treaty of Ghent, ending the War of 1812 between the U.S. and Britain, from Washington to London. Nice historical connection.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work guys. The mystery Captain is indeed James Ashley Maude. He was highly commended in the battle at the Bay of Rosas where he was apparently injured. If I am not mistaken, he held his last post in 1826 and after that I don't know what he did. Whether he was on official business in Brighton at the time when he received the cover in 1840 or holidaying is not known. If I am correct, I believe that he served at some point under William Farquhar of the EIC, who was also the assistant of Raffles, the founder of Singapore.

On that part about delivering the treaty of ghent, that is just amazing. I will research more into that.
Edited by pennyblackie - 01/19/2019 12:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1143 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Biography on Maude here:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Roya...James_Ashley

There are three people named James Maude in the 1841 census that were old enough to be your James Maude. Two were living in Yorkshire and the other in Lancashire. They were all stated to have been born in 1786 which made them 55 years old then. Rounding of someone's age to the nearest five years was standard practice in the 1841 census.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby, Thanks for narrowing the search. it's good that there were only 3 Maudes at that time, making it almost certain that we are discussing the right Maude. I believe only 1 out of the 3 would be addressed as a Captain and a Sir on the envelope, unless of course the other 2 were also military captains who had been knighted.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
709 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arrived today...

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1143 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pennyblackie
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05