Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roosevelt Cover Signature

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bigmel222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If the signature on the cover could be proven authentic, would it increase the value or is her signature fairly common?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3886 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, redwoodrandy. Very interesting site. I thought the signature was too "scrawly" at first but it certainly compares well with several of the examples!
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
She signed a lot of things. The signature looks real, although the lack of a cancel of any sort reduces its philatelic appeal.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2013 Brookman quotes $175 for an E. Roosevelt signature on a cover...

John
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My post above was simply on demand side of the equation and did not speculate directly on a value. That said, the Brookman quote would be with an expectation of a cancel. The item above had the stamp added later (over the end of the date). It would not be usable in an advanced exhibit.
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both John Becker and Johnsim03. The info available on this forum is mind boggling. Much appreciated.
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly did not notice the stamp over the date!
Pillar Of The Community
1051 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you were to buy a certificate of authenticity from a well known and respected autograph authentification company my guess based on recent eBay sales of her autograph on non-important pieces of paper (from something other than letters of substance or photographs) is that you might get in the range of $50 to $60 for it. The non-philatielic nature of this (as was pointed out it has no postmark and the stamp was applied over the last part of her autograph and her autograph on this is a bit shaky as if she were riding in a car going down a bumpy road or something. If this were a letter that she wrote talking about something interesting or on a large publicity photo of her then my guess is that her autograph would then triple or more from this value.

I think that she was the most intelligent first lady we have ever had, by far. Reading her books is a real education as they are about life and not about her. And unlike books from more recent political figures, she actually wrote her own. Some of my favorite quotes from her books are:
- A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water.
- Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
- Do what you feel in your heart to be right for you'll be criticized anyway.
- No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- A stumbling-block to the pessimist is a stepping-stone to the optimist.
- Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker and Kimo,

I agree with your comments about real world value, and the negative aspects of this "cover."

It DOES have some value, if the signature is authentic.

I've got a signature from Bill Murray. My Army unit (4th Basic Combat Training Brigade, Fort Knox, Kentucky) was the host for the cast and crew for the movie "Stripes." Many of my buddies and other folks I knew were in this film. Anyway, at the close of shooting our unit had a "dining out" function which many of the actors attended. Unfortunately, I had charge of quarters (CQ) that night. My XO was kind enough to get Mr. Murray to sign the program for the event, which he later gave to me. Bill wrote "John, collect stamps - it's fun and educational, too!" along with his signature. Now, it isn't worth much, but it is priceless to me! I just wish I could find it to share an image of it - it is buried somewhere in my stamp room.

That's a fact, Jack!

John
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Kimo. Love the quotes. I don"t collect covers but ended up with 60 having to do with both of them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05