Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Swedish To English Philatelic Dictionary

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 875Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1235 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Years ago there was a Swedish to English Philatelic Dictionary at
http://www.philea.se/Dictionary.html

It is long gone.

Is there another "To English" online Philatelic Dictionaries for any of the Scandinavian countries? Denmark Finland, Norway or Sweden?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Danish to English guide would be very useful since I just got the AFA Denmark catalogue in the mail, and unlike Facit catalogues which are in Swedish and English, AFA is only in Danish.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Swedish-Danish-Norwegian... They are very similar. Once you have understanding for one, it will go a long way with the rest. So no specific need to have three different dictionaries IMHO.

Here's Finnish to English philatelic dictionary: http://www.kolumbus.fi/mkstamps/fintoeng.html

Same site also provides Finnish to Swedish dictionary http://www.kolumbus.fi/mkstamps/fintoswe.html

Neither lexicons are no longer maintained, so save a copy locally if you need them long term.

-k-
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 01/19/2019 03:06 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
55 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly this link in the post above is broken, and I can't look up any terms.
I am after some information on two books, both very similar, and their Norwegian titles have me flummoxed. Beyond knowing they are about revenues, I really can't do any better with the free internet translation services than a mixture of sport, adjustment and stamp, which doesn't make much sense.
Can anyone help with either a translation of the titles or a replacement to the broken link in this thread so I can do more work on my own? Thank you very much for even reading about my predicament.

Edited by indigo - 03/17/2022 01:49 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A shot in the dark......
I use a Russian link called YANDEX

You need to scan the page at say 400dpi
load the image into yandex and it spits out the translation.

Apparently superb for Russian (naturally) others can be challenging.
Offered for your consideration
https://translate.yandex.com/

If you get flumoxed, hit me with a scan and I'll give it a shot for you.
Edited by rod222 - 03/17/2022 03:00 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
55 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much for the link. The website gives the following two translations :

Norges sportel -, stamp-and adjustment marks
Norges sportel -, aligner-and stampelmarker

I have my doubts, as they say.

I feel it is one of those things that is at once obvious to a native speaker and yet impenetrable for others.

I will have access to a larger public library on the weekend and can try a bigger dictionary.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

https://www.onlinetranslationpro.co...-translation

Quote:
I feel it is one of those things that is at once obvious to a native speaker and yet impenetrable for others.

Only one I have trouble with is Flemish
yet to find a translator for that.
Edited by rod222 - 03/17/2022 03:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6468 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   03:49 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Flemish is Dutch for the average practical purpose, Rod. Or did you mean Finnish?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No Geoff, Flemish,
I cannot recall what items I had at the time, I think Cinderellas,
Dutch was not giving any cognisant results.
When it next happens, I'll give you a shout.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1520 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.frankering.com/m/discuss...2:Topic:5682

Sportler er den betaling som ydes for utfřrelsen av statlige embedsforretninger.
Google translate:

[Sports] Edit: 'Sportler' is the payment made for the performance of government official business.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/search/?a...rtelmerke%22
Edited by NSK - 03/17/2022 07:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7955 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, Flemish is not too hard if Dutch is your mother language. But it can be a problem if you speak some strange form of English like Australian! (Just kidding about that last one of course)Dutch itself is sort of challenging if you are not from there!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1230 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/stempelmerker/ "Revenue stamps of Norway. Stempelmerkel." that appears to be for an expert/dealer in the field and has content in both Norwegian and English. There's an email contact there, could be worth contacting.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6468 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   07:56 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod - If you consult me on Flemish, I'll hide! When in Belgium, I use my bad French, although in Ghent a waiter told us, "You're in Flanders, speak English".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dutch itself is sort of challenging if you are not from there!

It may be Peter, but, when I was a young lad, listening to a young lady speak Dutch had me weak at the knees. (swoon)

It may have carried on, later in life too,
I used to get up at all hours of the night, just to watch Anna Van der Breggan ride a pushbike.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1230 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! I found a great solution for that - married a Dutch(-Canadian) woman - highly recommend :)
Valued Member
New Zealand
55 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, and especially to NSK for the link to pictures of some actual "sportel-merker". Here is the nicest of them. You can see the word sportelmerke faintly at the bottom of the photo

Every one of the free translation services tells me that "juster-" means adjustment, which sounds right, and I see the word is written on the stamps themselves, on the cover of the blue book. So it is not an adjustment to the stamp or its cancellation ... my best guess is it must be that the fee paid by the "juster-" stamp is somehow an addition or amendment to other fees.

Thanks again to everyone who has lent a hand. Wikipedia tells me that "Norwegian is one of the two official languages in Norway, along with Sámi, a Finno-Ugric language spoken by less than one percent of the population." So it is a good thing the stamps have stuck with the 99%, rather than with Sámi.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 875Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05