Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Swedish To English Philatelic Dictionary

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 858Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1503 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every one of the free translation services tells me that "juster-" means adjustment, which sounds right, and I see the word is written on the stamps themselves, on the cover of the blue book. So it is not an adjustment to the stamp or its cancellation ... my best guess is it must be that the fee paid by the "juster-" stamp is somehow an addition or amendment to other fees.

No. It is a kind of fiscal stamp or 'proof of' stamp indicating a weight or measure has been calibrated. "Justerkammer" would be similar to the Office of Weights and Measures. See this link for an explanation. If you ignore the translation of sportel and juster, Google translate will make enough sense to get what it is about.

https://filatelist.no/kronikk/om-a-...ustermerker/

The first picture at the bottom of the page in the link shows an example of its use.

Quote:
As is well known, tax marks belong within the field of philately, and I myself am an avid collector of such marks. However, I realize that we are not so many who belong to this part of the church, so therefore I write "About gathering on the outskirts of philately."

The fair marks belong to the lesser-known tax marks, but are calculated together with the sports marks (see about the sports marks in the article from 23.1) and the consulate marks of the classic Norwegian tax marks.

In 1875, a law was passed that all tools used for measurements and weights in a commercial context should be controlled by public adjusters and provided with a public stamp. This work was to be paid for at fixed rates or fees, and invoices for work performed had marks (adjustment marks) affixed as a receipt for payment.

The adjustment stamps were issued in the period 1877 to 1913 or 1915 with a total number of just over 40. In other words, not so many stamps, but still not so easy to obtain for the interested collector. The stamps were issued in both øre denominations (from 1 øre to 50 øre) and krone denominations (from 1 krone to 20 kroner). The denominations were printed in blue with all denominations in the same sheet, and the crown denominations were printed in brown or different red colors with all denominations in the same sheet.

The printing process with the placement of the various denominations in the sheet is special for this brand, but here I refer to the bibliography for the interested reader.

These stamps went out of use around 1915, and then it takes a full 70 years before Justervesenet again starts using stamps as a receipt for paid tax.

The new adjustment marks are of a completely different type than the marks that were used from 1877 to around 1915. The marks do not have denominations and they are not used on receipts, but they are attached directly to scales, petrol pumps or measuring tools.

For those who want to find out about all these new adjustment marks, I refer to Knut Glasø's article in Det lille bibliotek volume 4.

The illustrations show adjustment marks with ear values #8203;#8203;and crown values.

Illustration 1 shows a receipt from Kristiania Justerkammer dated 1898 affixed to a
5-krone mark and 1-krone mark for performed adjustment work of a weight. The stamps are stamped with the line stamp «Kristiania Justerkammer» and both stamps belong to the edition that was published in 1877. All stamped stamps in my own collection have different line stamps.

Illustration 2 shows a 26-block with ear tags from the 1900 edition. As you can see from the margin, the denominations begin with the highest denomination on the left.

Illustration 3 shows an 18-block of a reddish-brown krone value from the 1900 edition. The denominations in this series are 1 krone, 2 kroner, 5 kroner, 10 kroner and 20 kroner. As can be seen from the block, it is put together in the same way as the ear value and begins with the highest denomination on the left.

Illustration 4 are three modern adjustment marks from 1991, 1998 and 2004.

The illustrations show large differences in the design of the stamps, but I believe that the modern stamps are as collectible as the older ones when one first collects such tax stamps.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021029265478/vektlodd
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 03/17/2022 4:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1235 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
New Zealand
55 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Nsk and Timm. Both the explanations and the links provided are great.
This thread's original purpose was about that Swedish dictionary, so it is good to have it back. There are really good books written in every language you can name, and it is so difficult when I can really speak only one!
Again, thanks for your utredningsarbete (investigation).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 858Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05