Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 1338A, G, & 1519 Line Pairs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,317Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While in the process of building an inventory of one of my U.S. albums, I find that there is no Line Pair listing for these three stamps in my Scott Catalog:

(SC# 1338A, 1338G and 1519)

My question is, was that a mistake in my 2011 Scott Specialized or was there some other reason for the omissions?

Seems strange, since there are listings for other coil line pairs before, between and after these.

Any ideas?

Al
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of the 1519, Scott 2019 says "Huck Press printings often show parts of a joint line, but this feature is not consistent".
They list no value for a joint line pair, nor are they listed for 1338A and 1338G, so it's not a "fault" in your Scott catalog. Curious why it's not listed, because the 1518 is listed with value for joint line pair...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for verifying that for me in the 2019 edition, ClassicPhilatelist!

...just one of those things that make you say "Hmmm", I guess.

I don't recall where I bought these, but the 1338G and 1519 do look a bit funky, like maybe the dealer got creative with his fine-point sharpies; but then, there is no tell-tale bleed-through on the backside, which is what I would expect if that was the case.

Al

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   10:10 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Curious why it's not listed, because the 1518 is listed with value for joint line pair."
The 1518 LP is liosted because it is NOT a Huck press printing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   10:12 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"the 1338G and 1519 do look a bit funky, like maybe the dealer got creative with his fine-point sharpies"
The lines are not fake - the lines on Huck press printings are not consistent and cam vary from little bits to heavy and sometimes show a big mess off to one side.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still I don't get why a center line that "can vary" doesn't constitute a listing for center line pair... as clearly they exist.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just attempted to change the title of this thread to "U.S. Joint Line Coil Pairs not listed in Scott", but apparently that can't be done after 24 hours.

Anyhow, I just came across another one in the Transportation Coils (Scott# 1897A):

...this one is not too subtle!

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott ceased listing joint line pairs when plate numbers were introduced on coil stamps. Eventually, the "joint line" went away with the introduction of new stamp presses. Collectors switched from collecting line pairs to collecting plate number coils. For those coils which have both joint lines & plate numbers, you will find only the plate number coil listed in strips of 3 or 5. You may however see imperforate error pairs with joint lines listed. For example, look at 1897b or 1897Ac. Note that for some issues, no imperf line pairs have been discovered.
Added: I could be wrong, but I believe plate numbers were first introduced on Scott 1891 in 1981.
Edited by JLLebbert - 01/27/2019 8:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BreefmackUSA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that sounds about right.

The 1897A does have a listing, but it is a dash, which makes sense (Known, but without pricing data). The "3" plate number is visible, although the bottom is cut off.

The three below do not have any mention, dash or otherwise (1900, 1907 & 1908):

1900 Plate #1:

1907 Plate #6, very light joint line to the right of perfs:

1908 Plate #4, with Joint Line:

Too bad the Scott National editors didn't let us know so that we could have caught on a little quicker. The "Comprehensive PNC Pages" start in 1995... They are still providing spaces for coil pairs in the regular National Album, at least up to 2017, with not enough room for PNC-3s or 5s, except for the se-tenants.

IMHO: It would seem that if they exist, the specialized should list at least a "Dash" for the above two and any others that might be out there.

I suspect that this series of Transportation coils were right at the transition point since they have both (at least in a few instances in my album). I haven't seen any in the 1990-95 series.

Thanks,

Al

Edited by BreefmackUSA - 01/27/2019 10:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Al. The Transportation series spanned from 1981 thru 1995, the last issued being the 20 cent Cog Railway.
The first stamps in the series were printed on the now dismantled Cottrell presses. These stamps had a joint line, also known as a seam line. The rest of the Transportation Coils were printed on a variety of other presses that did not leave a joint line.
The fact that Scott does not list these is strange - they did issue a PNC album!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Still I don't get why a center line that "can vary" doesn't constitute a listing for center line pair... as clearly they exist."

It can vary to the point that sometimes it doesn't appear at all or is just a little dash. The color can also vary or be more than one color.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05