Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Butler And Carpenter Correspondence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 972Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/22/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revinmn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Butler and Carpenter correspondence from August 19, 1862 to July 12, 1875 is now up on the American Revenue Association website. It consists of either 12 pdfs that are easy to dig around in (sorry about grammar)or two large pdfs, better for searching. And yes, the files are searchable in Adobe Reader, at least. A few pages at the beginning were not clear enough to be made searchable,and any where there were typewriter overstrikes aren't either, but the vast majority should be.

A big thanks goes to Mark Banchik for scanning more than 5,000 pages of his typed facsimile of the correspondence.

Please let me know if you find any serious problems in the way the files are put up. Thank you.

Bob H.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7367 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob. Glad to see you here.
Bart
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a link to it?
Learn More...
9134 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I should have posted that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hats off and kudos to all who had a hand in this project. I am enjoying the reading and learning along the way. it's too bad the incoming correspondence was not saved as well.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PhilPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me while I air a pet peeve. I mean no disrespect, but what is the significance of the Butler and Carpenter correspondence? Who are Butler and Carpenter and why should anyone care what they corresponded about?

I Googled them and looked at the American Revenue Association website and found no explanation. I find it frustrating when experts assume everyone knows what they are talking about.

It would be a huge service to the non-experts in the collecting community to add a brief sentence fragment providing some context and relevance: "The Bulter and Carpenter correspondence, regarding XYZ, is now up ...."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2014 Scott Specialized U.S. Catalogue begins the section on Revenue Stamps with this sentence;

"The Commissioner of Internal Revenue advertised for bids for revenue stamps in August 1862, and the contract was awarded to Butler and Carpenter of Philadelphia."

Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil,

Okay, I can add a word or two. But unless I had posted the announcement here, you or anyone else who did not know who Butler an Carpenter were to start with would never have any reason to find the correspondence, I suspect. So it never occurred to any of us to be more accommodating.

I also suspect that there are ARA members who couldn't tell you who Butler and Carpenter were, though they heard of them somewhere, so they might appreciate a word as well. I'll do it in the Blog announcement for now.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nadir1969 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know anything about Butler & Carpenter's prior history? Is there a good reference for printers of this era?

I have perused a few years of the correspondence and it is instructive and entertaining. Jos. Carpenter is referenced as one of the principals but I think it's possible it was his father who was a partner in Toppan, Carpenter, Casilear. It would be interesting to know if B&C did any other government work at the time other than Revenues and M&M. They certainly had their troubles!

Thx,
Charlie B.
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a wonderful asset to students of the Civil War revenues. Thanks to Mark and Bob for making this available!
John B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1141 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be a little more available info about Joseph Carpenter than John Butler. According to "The Engraver's Line" by Gene Hessler, Carpenter was born in 1820 and died in 1894. He joined Toppan, Carpenter & Co. in 1860 (he was not the founding Carpenter), but worked independently in 1861, then formed Butler & Carpenter in 1862. John Butler died in 1868, and Carpenter changed the business name to "Joseph R. Carpenter" -- it looks like that occurred around Nov. 30, 1869, which is when Lamasure began using it in correspondence.

nadir1969, Carpenter did do other work for the U.S. Treasury. The company printed the backs of the 5th issue 50 fractional currency -- you'll see their imprint at the bottom. Butler & Carpenter also submitted essays in 1863 for $10, $20, and $50 National Bank Notes (no examples survive), but the designs were not selected.

Edited by GregAlex - 01/19/2021 7:38 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 19.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05