Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Share Your Story Of A Pre-forever Rate Increase

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

125 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recall the days before Forever stamps when the local post offices would sell out a week in advance on whatever the first class makeup stamp was, a 2c Wright, or 3c Parkman, for example. The demand would bring out old postal stock, such that during the 70s I recall obtaining some 2c Jeffersons from the Liberty series.

During the '90s when rate changes of 1 cent happened, a post office clerrk told me people would tape a penny on an envelope. The envelopes would get processed anyhow, and the coins would pop off and jam the sorting equipment.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf10 -

Some of them made it through the mail sorter and were delivered as normal mail. From my postal history collection, here is a 1998 Lincoln Cent on cover cancelled 19 January 1999 in Huntsville, Alabama, USA and delivered to Des Moines, Iowa, USA.

Linus

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
548 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember going to the local Post Office to purchase some forevers just after the rate change. I expected to pay the current postage for the sheet. Evidently the POS readers were not yet charging the additional rate change so the clerk was using a sheet of $.02 Navajo Jewelry to make up the difference. Instead of just handing me the forever stamps, I also received the $.02 Navajo Jewelry sheet. (The forever sheet charged the previous rate not the current) I didn't realize this until I got home when I looked at the receipt... The forever stamp sheet was charged at the previous rate, the $.02 Navajo Jewelry sheet was charged the difference, I got both sheets. The forever sheet should have been the only sheet received as those stamps would have carried 1st class mail. Still got the sheet.
Valued Member
125 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love that cover, Linns. Not many coins have been cancelled and made invalid to pay postage.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Perf10, here is another rate change cover from my USA postal history collection that you do not see everyday. This is Scott #UO84 stamped envelope entire with a strip of 3 of Scott #O143 (perf 11) one-cent official stamp used when the rate changed to 32 cents in 1995.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic.
I never heard about someone using tape and a penny.
Thanks for sharing!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05