Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Washington Coil #491 OR Coil #492

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cheechq to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
new to stamp collecting wanting to know if anyone can confirm this stamp for me thank you

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to water mark it.
However, I would say, the coils are the most faked of all the Washington's.
If you're new to stamps, get some lighter fluid (Ronsonol) and a dark dish (black) that put the stamp face down as you have it in the last image. Pour about 1mm of fluid in the tray with the stamp, and look for evidence of a single line USPS watermark.
The perf looks suspicious to me, so there is a strong chance this is not a genuine coil.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
6942 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   08:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A helpful resource for learning about altered Washington/Franklin coil stamps
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/WFFakes.html

Don
Pillar Of The Community
2119 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheechq,
Welcome! You are looking in the right place on the stamp. Following along with Don's link to the stampsmarter site, the extra shading line in the ribbons makes this a type III. Beyond that you will find 2 possibilities depending on the presence/absence of a watermark in the paper. I won't spoil the fun of you taking these next steps.
Secondly, your coil has perfectly genuine perforations. I see no fakery. Your stamp passed through an affixing machine which used a knife to cut the stamp from the coil roll and stick it to the envelope. The knives of these affixers almost always cut at a slight angle to the perforation row leaving the perforations increasingly longer or shorter from top to bottom. Note the smooth cut appearance to the perforation teeth rather than fuzzy torn ends. Evidence of the technology at that time.
3 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cheechq to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i finally got a chance to check for water marks here are some pictures but I don't see any

Pillar Of The Community
2119 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any watermark either.
Using Stampsmarter site above or a catalog, do you now know what stamp you have?
3 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cheechq to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
after going over everything on a website that helps you with the types I determined that its a type lll #492 hope i'm right
Pillar Of The Community
2119 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with 492.
Learn More...
6942 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   03:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good job cheechq!
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05