Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Even Considered "Stamps"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
9 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Commander to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They are certainly cool looking at any rate. These are peel off back stamps? I don't want to pick at them to find out. They are each in a plastic window and not used. Information please and thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6377 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to www.stampworld.com you can find these

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26623 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are postage stamps of Bhutan.
They are referred to as "Lenticular" stamps.
Bhutan is noted for out of the ordinary (some say "gimmicky") stamp emissions, Postage stamp as a vinyl record etc.

I have one supposedly cancelled from Bhutan, however the stamp itself will not hold cancelling ink, so it is debatable.

"Lenticular" action stamps have been issued by..........

United States, Austria, Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, the Netherlands, and Thailand.

Edited by rod222 - 01/29/2019 2:44 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26623 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bhutan Lenticular (lower = Vinyl stamps) stamps on Cover.

From my collection, plastic "blow molded" stamp, Bhutan

Edited by rod222 - 01/29/2019 2:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lenticular stamps were also issued by some of the Trucial States, although some don't count them as stamps. Umm Al Qiwain (or people purporting to be Umm Al Qiwain) issued several.

Bhutan wasn't part of Trucial States but had a simliar issuing policy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1584 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are stamps but I regard them as no more than overpriced stickers.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Commander to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the response. And you jkelley01938 shoot straight from the hip lol I like that.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26623 Posts
Posted 01/29/2019   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And you jkelley01938 shoot straight from the hip lol I like that.

It may be wise to consider, all folks read these posts.
Negativity with regard to what people collect, is a disease that affects all our hobby.

Lets hope someone doesn't one day dump on what you collect.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2434 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a more polite way to say it is these stamps were issued by legitimate postal entities but intended for sale to collectors and saw limited, if any, postal use within the country.

There is a uneasy balance between stating an opinion vs criticizing others.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/30/2019 08:04 am
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Commander to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, I feel I may have committed an error with my post. I do apologize for dragging up bad feelings, if in fact I have. I simply wanted to post what has fallen into my lap. I'm clueless about your hobby.

Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

It all comes down to how we define a postage stamp. Generically, a postage stamp is an item sold by a postal authority valid to cover the cost of mailing an item. Within that definition we find items widely made available for everyone to use and items still valid for the purpose of mailing stuff but not widely sold to the public for that purpose. Under that last cavoite you find valid postage items sold to generate revenue for the post office but never intended for wide public postal use.

Folks are free to collect whatever they wish; however, we wind up supporting this "if you print it they will buy it" scheme.
Valued Member
Learn More...
394 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Commander. You've just encountered one of the unwritten rules around here. You get taken to task for simply liking someone else's comment, while the original comment, which was the actual criticism of the items in question, and its poster skates by untouched. Please feel free to post whatever opinion you wish, as long as it is polite. Just know, however, that you will not be spared the sniping of the curmudgeons here until you're a "pillar" or "bedrock" of the community. If any of you curmudgeons object to this viewpoint, then please explain what happened above. Cheers.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bhutan has some of the quirkiest stamps in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pos...ry_of_Bhutan
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
395 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bhutan wasn't part of Trucial States but had a simliar issuing policy.

That's hardly fair to Bhutan. The number of stamp issues per year for Bhutan during the 1960s/1970s was much closer to the USA or Canada than it was to Sharjah or Fujeira, each of which "issued" over a thousand stamps during 1971-1972 -- outnumbering Bhutan's entire output to date in those two years!

Bhutan was also cleverer with the "gimmicks"; while Umm al Qiwain issued some lenticular stamps, and Sharjah issued foil "coin" stamps, etc., Bhutan had textured "oil painting" stamps, scratch-and-sniff stamps, stamps made out of steel, phonograph stamps, and even an liquid crystal display stamp set (technically never issued, but some copies are on the market). Their Apollo topicals (especially the souvenir sheets) are some of the most striking space stamps issued anywhere.

Obviously nearly all Bhutan's stamps are far more philatelic than postal in nature, but nearly every stamp issuer from the late 19th century on is guilty of issuing stamps more for collector money than to meet any postal need.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05