Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Substitute For Watermark Fluid ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wendy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I always have two curious cats helping me with my stamp collection.
Is there any technique for detecting watermarks that doesn't involve watermark detection fluid or lighter fluid ? Has anyone had good luck with any alternative method ?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6966 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A really strong back light? Just soak in water and then scan?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep some catnip on the floor to sidetrack them from the desk. That's what I use to keep mine off desk. Also a few catnip toys to throw for distraction.

Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
I never thought about just soaking in water and scanning. I'll have to try that.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a device called a Signoscope from SAFE.
Depending on the stamps you're viewing, it ranges from poor to great. US single lines can be hard to see if faint, double line usually are fine.
Watermarks from other countries that tend to be heavier, like UK and Canada (as well as others) work really well with it.
I have used mine off and on over the years. But overall I would say, there is no substitute for lighter fluid... some watermarks are extremely tough to see (particularly yellow and orange faced stamps, like 10c Washingtons). You won't be able to find the water mark on these without fluid.
Lock your cats up while you're checking for water marks... shouldn't take that long...
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2085 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a flatbed that can do film negative scanning, you could try this method. It doesn't work for everyone, but I've had decent luck with it.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3254 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lock them up. LOL

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
660 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too much footing around and you will eventually end up with a valuable stamp with additional perf hole in it!

Edit: wow, did not expect that censor.
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/31/2019 9:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ajuchum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember starting out in the 50s and 60s and buying a bottle of Carbon Tetrachloride for watermarks. I imagine that's impossible to get anymore. It never seemed to affect me

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1144 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love cats, and they're living proof that the earth isn't flat. If it was, our kitty friends would've knocked everything over the edges by now
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mstamping to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the watermark alternative Don. Im not saying inhaling the lighter fluid fumes while identifying Franklin and Washington heads on the stampsmarter site was a bad time but this method sounds much better.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05