Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Auction Describers Gone Wild

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1314 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Like writers of menus for restaurants one notch below a Michelin star, auction describers sometimes trip on the pinnacles of hyperbole in their zeal to sell their wares. Yet these philatelic uber-geeks often also succeed in inducing a chuckle, if not a bid. Join the fun by posting examples here. We'll begin with this, from Kelleher sale 722, catalog released today:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1248 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's one over-the-top description. You'd have to be a certain age to get all of the pop culture references......
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1042 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marketing 101: better defined as "upselling" a product; or, putting "lipstick on a pig! You have to admit, Stanley Richmond is smart to have someone on staff intelligent enough to ask $4,000-$6,000 for a pair of stamps cataloging $1,500, in a soft market bringing 50%, or less (on average) of catalog.
Edited by Hal - 02/02/2019 01:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't really up selling. Up selling is what they do at car rental desks, where you book the cheapest car, and then they talk you into a more expensive one...
It's also not exactly lipstick on a pig... it is a very nice line pair, and not often seen with the top and bottom cut like that.
They're asking a premium for a premium stamp, and yes a bit of over selling, but this is neither up sell or "beautifying" something that is otherwise not beautiful.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1248 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Up selling is what they do at car rental desks, where you book the cheapest car, and then they talk you into a more expensive one...

The opposite happened to me and Mrs DLR the first time we went to the UK. Booked an average 4cyl car and when we arrived at the depot they gave us a C class Mercedes.

Mind, the next time we went they gave us a Ford Galaxy (which again we didn't book), which actually does have the turning circle of a galaxy
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 02/02/2019 03:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3733 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bo Derek? Their demographic is showing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1194 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay any one of Noblespirit's "exhilirating," "astounding," "breathtaking," "awe-inspiring" etc. lots would fall into this category.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
654 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert, but how does it grade 98 when the left and right margins are noticeably different to the naked eye?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3289 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite descriptive term is "mouth watering".

I've often wondered how you'd prepare the stamps; stir fry? Souffle'?
Valued Member
309 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got many chuckles out of Shreves descriptions. They took "polishing the apple" to the limit, to hyperbole and beyond.

And, I quote:

"exceedingly light and face-free postmark"
"most uncommon to this issue, deep luxuriant color and a sharp detailed impression"
"razor-sharp impression"
"lavishly large margins"
"immaculate white paper"
"perf tip toning ... truly unworthy of mention ..."

I am sure many of the stamps were nice.

Images had a "glow" about them, a bit overexposed, concealing a few crows feet and laugh lines on the aging beauty.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4648 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   7:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to admit, Stanley Richmond is smart to have someone on staff intelligent enough to ask $4,000-$6,000 for a pair of stamps cataloging $1,500, in a soft market bringing 50%, or less (on average) of catalog.

This is only a $750 or less item if you completely ignore the grade entirely. As much as I abhor grading, this is clearly better than your average example, hence the SMQ catalog value referenced. While it might not bring full SMQ, I'd be willing to bet that it brings above full Scott.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3733 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe that Stanley Richmond is very involved anymore. I talked with him this past Summer and he basically defers to David.
Valued Member
104 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey live on and on, in Stamp World...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1042 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HI CLASSICPHILATELIST --

your correct about the traditional "upselling" definition, however, I was using it in the looser sense, as I explained further on in my comments. Having worked on Madison Avenue a good portion of my career, that's exactly what we called dressing-up and hyping product to sell above normal list price.

Or to put it another way, "a white aspirin is a white aspirin...the only difference is in how it is presented (newer..better...bigger...stronger..more effective...99.9% PURE (gem)! -- it's all "weasel" advertising copy...it's all "lipstick on a pig!" And wait till someone in the stamp game starts using sexy models to sell stamps. Sex sells everything. Then nobody will be looking at what they buy -- or care, until it's too late.

Konichi-wa!
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3733 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
......captivating color and a perfect rear......
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 02/02/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kelleher auctioned off the same pair 5 years ago, uncertified, for $2800. Sale 652, May 2014.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05