Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

SCF Slow To Load At Times

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3740 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7419 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend that folks stop using the SCF search and instead the Google Custom Forum Search on the same page. Not only is this search much faster but it would stop the slow page load times that others are seeing.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3740 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not searching Don. It just starts clocking and then eventually loads.
Learn More...
7419 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:16 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SCF search is impacting the server's overall performance and is causing all other pages to load slow. So if folks did not use the SCF search, then all the other pages would load quickly for all users.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3740 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, got it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4657 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   09:50 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, while that's true, depending on what you're wanting to search for, the Google search isn't effective. You can't constrain the search to a particular section of the board, and you can't control the sorting. It's whatever Google decides is important.

Sadly, the problem is with the underlying board database and architecture; I say that not as a criticism of Bobby and his efforts. It just is what it is. Once you take a "standard" forum software package and highly customize it, over the course of time the deviation from the standard makes software updates and/or optimizations increasingly difficult.

It's not easy.
Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once you take a "standard" forum software package and highly customize it, over the course of time the deviation from the standard makes software updates and/or optimizations increasingly difficult.

Customizations have nothing to do with search. Every forum on the internet has the same issue. Two things crush resources on a busy forum, searches and subscriptions. Doesn't matter what software you use or how many customizations you have, those two things can bring a forum to it's knees.

That being said, I have a suspicion that there may be bots/crawlers submitting the search form so I think over the next few days I'll add some code to restrict the SCF database search to logged in members only.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2564 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know some forums limit search results and how often one can search like 1 search every 10 seconds.
Al
Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and this is exactly why.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4657 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know some forums limit search results and how often one can search like 1 search every 10 seconds.

Yep. That's what I have done on my forum, and also somwehat incentivized support by changing group options in the "Supporters" group to bypass the flood control. The other and more important part of the solution is what Bobby alluded to: only allow authenticated users to use the search functions. Those two restrictions should free things up considerably.
Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have added that code, if you log out you should only see the Google search.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4657 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Confirmed.
Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, We'll see what happens.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27582 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a complaint, just observations.
Over the past week, I have had to log off numerous times, SCF fails to load,
and times out.
3 times today.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1328 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always had issues with the site not loading but it's definitely noticeably worse in the past 1-2 weeks. Most times the page I want eventually loads, but I have seen some time outs.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05