Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin And Washington 2 Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/04/2019   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dutch22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could tell me if these are worth anything. When I google images of these stamps, I see anything from cents to $50,000. I know there are minute details to consider, but are any of these in the ballpark?

Many thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 02/04/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/192...ntifier.html

Going to this website will help with IDing your stamps. And welcome to the forum

Peter

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutch22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter.

Unfortunately I am a complete novice when it comes to these terms and identifications. Is it possible to see from my image if any one of these stamps may be worth getting appraised, or are they of typical variety?

Again thanks.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell from the scans, but your chances of one of these being worth much are lower than finding a valuable diamond in a scoop of dirt from your back yard. These's no monetary value there.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might be good then as my wife lost a diamond from her ring in the back yard and we "ain't" found it yet. lol
United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutch22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. I got excited because if you google these stamps, some come up on eBay selling for thousands. Not sure if those are legit though either....
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 02/08/2019   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dutch22 and welcome. As you surmised, asking price on eBay often is not even close to the actual value of the stamp. It's eBay, so anyone can ask any price they wish. Not unusual to see someone asking 10s or even 100s of thousands for a stamp that technically may be worth a few cents, but in reality may be worth nothing at all.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/25/2019   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutch22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm getting into researching what stamp collecting involves, but I can't seem to figure out one thing: if a stamp or group of stamps are valued at $X amount, why do they sell for a lot less on eBay and the like? If a value of a stamp is let's say $100, why does it sell only for $25?

Thanks in advance!
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 02/25/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dutch22 -

There's a discussion re: catalog value/retail value currently ongoing at Main Stamp Collecting page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05