Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Firsts And Little Known Facts About Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 3,252Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4923 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first American Indian to have a sole appearance on a stamp.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8478 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   07:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI…
I have been developing a new set of album pages for stamp 'Firsts'. They are being designed with several things in mind. First, I thought it would be nice to have a stamp album to pull out and show to non-collectors. Pulling out one of my other albums, typically filled with endless pages that only interest existing collectors, often resulted in glazed over eyes within 30 seconds. Since many folks enjoy 'firsts' I though a specialized album of stamp 'firsts' would be a good representation of our hobby. Rather than fill each page with many stamps, each page is designed to show a single stamp along with an interesting historical background for each 'first'.

I am a bit hesitant to post these pages when they are done. Determining 'stamp firsts' includes some subjective decisions. Others may have made different decisions on which stamps to include or what the actual 'first stamp' might have been. In many cases, there are long articles and even books written debating some of these decisions. My intent was not to support one decision over another. In some cases my decision was influenced by availability of the stamps; I wanted a set of pages that would not require a person to be a millionaire to complete. So if there is interest, I will post them for download when done. Like my other album pages, folks can modify them for their own personal use if desired.
Don

Page Samples

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4923 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First African American to be honored on a United States stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1511 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're very attractive pages Don, a pleasure to look at!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
543 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, that looks very nice!

So true about appealing to non-collectors. Had an example just today of that - my wife saw me putting a new stamp in with the 1990's Canada pages, and exclaimed about how nice & colourful the stamps were, so I went through some of the pages with her. However, her eyes glaze over whenever I show her a new Admiral or small queen acquisition I'm excited about... just another monarch with a number.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

First attempts to facilitate the international handling of mail.

Whereby one country would accept the prepaid correspondence of another.
Canada and the United States on 1st June 1792.

On that date, letters from Canada could be pre-paid all the way.

(The US however declined to act for Canada)

The Guinness Book of Facts and Feats
James Mackay
ISBN 0851122418

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Post Offices in the United States.

76,688 Post Offices in 1900
32,626 Post Offices in 1967

Source: As above.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1286 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HERRICKSTAMP AUSTRIA Sc.# 2153 UEFA Euro 2008 Soccer Stamp

First lenticular postage stamp - by Outer-Aspect's action-oriented printing process "MotionStamp" technology.

A pioneering three second "video stamp" has been released May 05, 2008) to mark the Euro 2008 football championships.

The clip, showing striker Andri Herzog scoring for Austria in 1997, is believed to be the most technologically sophisticated and expensive stamp ever made.

Forty-eight frames from the original television footage of Herzog's goal have been run together using a technology called lenticular printing.

This involves "interlacing" the still images by slicing them into strips and then combining them into a single image.

The single interlaced image is then covered with see-through plastic composed of many "lenticular" lenses.

By slowly changing the angle at which the stamp is viewed, Herzog can be seen kicking the ball into the back of Sweden's net in a World Cup qualifier, handing Austria a victory that took them to the finals in France the following year.

This year's European Championships are being co-hosted by Austria and Switzerland, and the commemorative stamp has been produced by the Austrian post office.

The technology has been around for many years, but most lenticular images are composed of just two or three stills.

This commemorative stamp is believed to be the most complicated ever made, creating the illusion of video-quality footage.

But given the stamp's size - 6.5cm by 4.7cm (2.6in by 1.9in) - and cost - 5.45 Euros (£4.34) - it is unlikely to appear on any postcards sent back to Britain from Austria this summer.

Most are expected to be bought by collectors. The stamp, and an accompanying lenticular postcard, are available from the Austrian Post website.
Edited by BlackJag - 02/10/2019 12:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2396 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The first multi-coloured stamp in the world, issued for the benefit of Consumptive Homes in 1897"

I guess it depends on your definition mo multi-colored. There are certainly 2 color stamps well before 1897, but perhaps this is the first more than 2?
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, those pages are great.
How many "Firsts" do you have?
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That 287 is also first to show an American bison.
Learn More...
8478 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   03:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott.
I currently have just under 50 'firsts' pages but most of these are format and service related (i.e. first perforated stamp, first airmail).

I have not yet added many of the 'topicals' (like first dog on a stamp).

I am also restricting my effort to 'world firsts' as opposed to any 'country firsts' (i.e. first Christmas stamp in the world but not first Christmas stamp in the US).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1511 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess it depends on your definition mo multi-colored. There are certainly 2 color stamps well before 1897, but perhaps this is the first more than 2?

I'd call a 2 colour stamp bi-coloured. In any event, the NSW 1897 issue is a three coloured stamp, comfortably beaten by 47 years by Switzerland. I must've read that the NSW issue was the first multicoloured stamp in the British Empire but I'd have to double check that.
Learn More...
8478 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   06:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby,
The NSW stamp made it into my pages as the first semi-postal stamp.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don,
I like that you're staying away from topical, and going "global" as well.
Do you have first telegraph stamp?
First Postage Due?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 3,252Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05