Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Firsts And Little Known Facts About Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 3,259Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
Also... you have a typo in your "First Phono message" page, you might want to fix. You have "person;s" voice, and try reaching one key to right to get "person's" instead. ;)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   06:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
Posted images of first draft and before I have gotten my wife to proof read. I am never able to see my own mistakes! Thanks!

Have first Postage Due (1857 French 10-centime black stamp) but not telegraph yet.
Don
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First Paleontology and Archaeology related personage
1851 Jefferson

Notes at bottom get into it a bit more..
http:// (20120222) Not Allowed /country/usa.html
Edited by Revenue N Covers - 02/10/2019 07:34 am
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 287 gone wrong

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs make this one of the ugly modern reproductions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4931 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a reproduction. The buffalo is chasing the Indian. It is humor.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So it's a humorous modern reproduction. It's still a modern reproduction. Just like the fake C3a with the pilot falling out of the plane.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4931 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1513 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The NSW stamp made it into my pages as the first semi-postal stamp.

Thanks Don, good to confirm my hunch
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29896 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading my "Chronicle of the 20th Century"

February 1900, the world's first "book of stamps" produced (U.S)

What "book of stamps" means actually, is not explained.
Any idea from our US friends?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reference is to the first US booklet stamps, released in 1900.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1502 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Luxembourg appears to have been the first country to issue postage stamp booklets.

"Booklets of telegraph stamps are known to have been issued by the California State Telegraph Company in 1870, and by Western Union in 1871, and on 14 October 1884 an A.W. Cooke of Boston received Patent 306,674 from the United States Patent Office for the idea of putting postage stamps into booklets.

Luxembourg was the first country to issue booklets, in 1895, followed by Sweden in 1898, the United States in 1900 and Great Britain in 1904." Wikipedia

http://stamps.luxcentral.com/LuxBooklets.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29896 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha!
Thank you both, that makes sense, my references are newspaper articles,
ergo, reporters are not philatelists.

The article possibly was a report from the US, which at the time was true, for that country, but not the world.

Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was 10 or 11, I bought what was hawked as the first 'steel stamp set', from Bhutan. Not the first metal stamp - 'gold' foil stamps already existed.

First balloon on a stamp:

Correct me if I am wrong.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 3,259Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05