Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pss Windows Software

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 841Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
79 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bakechad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just starting to get into precancels and am going to order a few of the PSS catalogs. I'm very interested in the "PSS Windows software", I only have Mac and Linux machines. I could get a Windows license and spin up a virtual machine, but would much rather try to use the database natively.

Does anyone know if the PSS software is truly a stand-alone Windows application or is just a wrapper around a database? Assuming it is a true database or a group of text files and not a proprietary file, does anyone know what type of data it is?

Also, if anyone has screenshots, it would be great to see what it looks like.

Thanks

Chad
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   08:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an Microsoft Access database.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
620 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
> It is an Microsoft Access database.

Whats Access? The 90s called and wants their mdb file back. sigh

Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PSS has renamed the MS Access '.mdb' files to 'bbb. You can make a copy, rename them back to '.mdb', and then open in them in the MS Access application. The PSS app itself appears to be done in Delphi (wow, there is a name I have not heard of in the last 10 years). But the OP was asking 'what type of data is it' and the data is being stored in unencrypted MS Access database files.
Don
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone gotten the PSS software to run on Wine?

Trying to avoid purchasing a Windows license to run one piece of software.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2139 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have office 97 that I run on wine without any problems.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 841Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05