Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do You Collect What You Collect?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must also have the collector gene. Over the years, I have collected stamps, coins, comic books, baseball cards, vintage GI Joes, antique fishing lures, military and history books, items related to Elvis, classic movies on DVD, factory sales literature of classic and exotic cars, antique hand tools, Rhodesian military items, and firearms. With the exception of baseball cards, stamps were my earliest collecting interest. I developed quite substantial collections of a number of these but most have long since been sold off. The only ones I still have are the stamps, classic movies on DVD, military and history books, and Rhodesian military items. Right now I'm in the process of thinning out my books on eBay because I have thousands of volumes and would like to get it down to a more manageable 200-300 of the ones that appeal to me most.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3692 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I Can't remember exactly how old I was (10 or 12) when I started my collection but I remember getting a nice album for $5.00. I would order stamps from the back of magazines for a dollar and sometimes would find some at Woolworths. I collected world wide to my late teens when I joined the military and then stashed it away for a while.

3 or 4 years later I met a young boy who was house bound with an illness and gave hime the collection.

Fast foward 25 years I was tutering a young girl who wanted to start a collection and while helping her I was hooked again. 16 Years later I have a world wide collection that is spread over 2 rooms in the house

I think the main reason I stick with world wide is that I love learning about the history of each county and particularly the ones that no longer exist.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very pleased this topic has inspired so many responses, and they're not all exclusively stamp collectors. I like that, I collect a few other things as well: sterling silver bookmarks, antique pens and pre-publication review copies of books. Now I'll say a few words about one of my other areas of interest in stamps: Great Britain. I collect GB mainly because I was born there, and even though I've lived in the US for about 80% of my life, I still maintain strong ties to the UK, I go back there on average once every three years for a visit and enjoy most things British: TV, movies, food, books. I began collecting at a very early age, while I was still living there, and because everyone wrote letters and used stamps back then (early 1950's) the first ones in my collection were probably British definitives. Even so, I collected worldwide, and didn't concentrate on GB, just added sporadically over the years with many years in which I did nothing at all. In 2000 a national stamp show came to the Anaheim Convention Center, which had a GB post office, so I bought all of the Millennium issues that they had on sale, and signed up with the Royal Mail new issue service, and kept that up for about two years , but once again put my collecting on hold. Then, about 5 years ago my mother passed away and left me some money. I didn't know what to do with it at first, but just put it in the bank, and not long after I came across a fantastic GB collection on eBay. It was housed in 5 beautiful hingeless Schaubek albums and was about 85% complete of everything from 1840 to 2013. So I bought it and have been attempting to fill in all the gaps. I'm getting there, with only a handful of the very rarest ones that I'm sure I'll never be able to own. I order the new issues from WOPA in Gibraltar, and have to buy the album supplements from the publishers. I've acquired a lot of "extras" along the way: the four Mulready varieties, pre-stamp covers, bisects, telegraph stamps and a few other things that the album pages don't provide pace for
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1065 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing, waddsbadds. Nice story. Wondering if you obtained the 5 pound yellow Queen Victoria stamp. When I was actively collecting GB; not now, but still have the collection; I coveted that and the Postal Union King George V stamp. The Queen was way beyond my budget.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
840 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 5 QV with specimen overprint is the cheapest way to fill that gap.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do I collect what I do? Because it is there.

I lived in France for a year as a kid, and that is where I started, so France is the core of my collection. But now that I have gotten all the low-hanging fruit, I am moving on to the colonies, and across the Rhine to Germany.

German and Austrian stamps reflect their complicated histories, so I have gotten bogged down there.

In grad school, I did some work on Moroccan history and on French colonialism, so have gotten into Moroccan locals and into West African postal history.
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To Climber Steve: yes, I do have the 5 pound Queen Victoria stamp (actually orange, not yellow) and to Bobby De La Rue, yes the specimen overprint is the cheapest way to obtain this stamp. I got mine a few months ago at what I consider to be a fantastic price, and despite the Specimen overprint is still a very attractive stamp and fills a gap in my collection which would scream at me every time I opened the album to that page. Also to Climber Steve, yes I also have the KGV one pound PUC stamp, that came up for sale at a very attractive price. I also have the Queen Victoria 5 pound telegraph stamp which is almost identical except it says Telegraphs on it instead of Postage and has a different watermark. This one came first and is supposedly the scarcer of the two.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
42 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldbeeg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After working my way through world, then mostly USA, then realizing that a 'complete' topical collection was going to be more reasonable, I wandered into waterfalls as I have always enjoyed watching the real thing.

I spent several years pouring over catalogues with a magnifying glass looking at the images to see if there was anything resembling water running downhill pictured to make a checklist. About the time I thought it was in pretty good shape, an ATA group started assembling one whereby several I had missed got added to my list. It was really fun working with folks who were just as fascinated with waterfalls as I.

B.G.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
149 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect all-world, used stamps only.
I'm interested in most things, and most of the world.
I think I'll eventually start a thematic collection, but there's no rush.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05