Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 1906A And So Called Type D 17c Transportation Precancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 700Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add quigngt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I searched scf posts for info on a "D" type but found none. If there is a post I'd appreciate it if I could be directed to it.

The PNC3 2017 Values list does not assign a Type D designation for 1906a but does recognize Type C to have the word "PRECANCEL" in two widths of 13.5 mm - 14.5 mm. I have seen numerous eBay listings (I think also Hipstamp) listing the 14.5 mm as 1906a Type D.

Both 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm widths appear to have the same font and thick letters. Could this be why the Type D is not recognized as a different type?

Does Scott specialized catalog recognize a Type D? If neither catalog does not, would it be better to not use the Type D term and stick with Type C and just call it "Wide Type C" or other term?

In the photo below it looks to me that the only difference for width is wider spacing between the letters "RE" and "RT" of "PRESORTED".

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2671 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I compare overprints I use MakeAGif. The differences become very apparent. Scan both types together, crop PRESORTED from both..and maybe compare First Class as well.

https://makeagif.com/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my collection of specialized Transportation Coils I still keep the pages I made back in the 80"s. There is a definite difference in width on the "C" type of overprint. The reason it is not a separate type any longer is because the font is exactly the same in both types. PNC3 decided not to support the D type any longer

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm widths appear to have the same font and thick letters. Could this be why the Type D is not recognized as a different type?

Yes

Quote:
Does Scott specialized catalog recognize a Type D?

No

Quote:
If neither catalog does not, would it be better to not use the Type D term and stick with Type C and just call it "Wide Type C" or other term?

The type D term needs to go away. Type C comes in a range and if you look at enough of these you will find some in between 13.5 and 14.5.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, the Precancel Society recognizes the type 'D", so who's to say who's right or wrong, one or the other, both or neither. Me, I call mine a "D" so I know it's not a 'C' but each to their own I guess. Just make a good notation & you're good to go!
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I opened a can of worms. Three respected groups: PNC3, Scott and Precancel Society don't agree on this issue. I'm fine with either decision but I wonder if there will ever be a consensus. Type A is a no brainer, Types B and C appear to have the same font but vary in letter thickness.

PNC3 decision makes sense being that C and "D" are identical font and thickness, only variying in length.

Precancel Society decision makes sense since so many Town and Type precancels often have the same font but assign a different number if the same town has wider spacing resulting in wider length.

Since it is 2 to 1 to not recognize Type D, I think what I'll do is use Type C and and follow it with the mm length. With my memory I may be inconsistent at times but I'll try not to be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   11:25 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they were all either 13.5 or 14.5 (and I recall it being 14.1 not 14.5 but it has been years) then you could make a case for calling the wider one a type D, but as I said before they come in a whole range of lengths, not just 2.
Edited by eyeonwall - 02/07/2019 11:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 02/08/2019   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is how I understood your post eyeonwall - that there are more than only 2 widths. Thank you very much for the clarifying information you posted. This is why I chose to no longer use Type D but rather Type C with mm width following it

btw, I recently bought the set of which the photo above is only a small part, but not yet delivered, so I don't even know for sure what mm the Plate #4 strip measures.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05