Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 158 Plate Proof?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burnside Bob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another view of exhibit A with a black background.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1980 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That new picture is definitely more convincing that there are some remnants of perfs visible.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1027 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These illustrations of "Guide Arrows" for the various 3c Banknote issue were described and illustrated printed in, 'THE U.S. 3c GREEN 1870-1887", 1913, H.L. Wiley, Second Edition, Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News, Portland, Maine, pp-18-19, and still valid today.

Enjoy!
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great new image Bob.
And confirms that the position of arrows from the original image where I could see the perf remnants are all accurate.
I was considering placing one at the leading corner, but wasn't sure if that was a perf remnant or just a damage in the paper, but now I can see, that would have been accurate as well.
Slovenia
2 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gabi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your picture. I appreciate it.
------------------------------------------------
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
https://www.ustvarjalnidotik.si/izd...rojstni-dan/
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1212 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you, Hal, very interesting. Is this also valid for other bank note stamp values, or are there other arrow overviews for the other values?
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That new picture on the black background is great, but now I'm not sure what I'm looking at? Before, I would've definitely said trimmed perfs. But look at the spacing between the perf holes - it looks like a perf 6 stamp? Combine that with Sinclair's comment - about the upper right corner - and I am no longer convinced that those are actually trimmed perfs??
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I've been watching this thread. 40 or 45 years ago, I found the stamp pictured here and have been trying to find what it was ever since. It's been buried in a box for decades, but this thread caused me to dig it out. Decades ago, when I lived in CT, I would show it to dealers at stamp shows, and they mostly said they thought it was a used proof or maybe a trimmed jumbo. Trimmed jumbo makes more sense. Never thought it looked like a proof - too 'pedestrian' in its appearance.
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burnside Bob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New scan at 2400 dpi. Really makes things obvious.

Mootermutt, on your stamp, are those two perf remnants bottom right adjacent to "S" of "Cents"? Thanks for sharing.

Burnside Bob
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Burnside Bob,
I see what you are referring to as well, and I would agree... particularly where the are out on the "bulge" edge of that side, there are 2 clearly visible perf holes.
mdroth... no idea why you think this is "perf 6". There is 0 indication of such. I think you're missing the notion of some perfs are more visible than others.
Realize perf machines, the pins which make the perfs are not perfectly aligned. Visibly they seem to be, until you start magnifying, and looking at the VERY close points where they occur. So when the trimming occurs, there may appear to be bigger "gaps" between perfs than is actual, because some perf holes will be higher on a "straight line" than others (and some lower), which is why the one perf in the upper left is most obvious. It's in a higher part of the margin, but also that perf alignment is a little lower than the others, only noticeable when you do a parallel lines check, and/or when the trim along a line leaves more "hole" remaining than others.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to be clear to mootermutt987, there is 0 question in my mind this is a trimmed jumbo of a 184.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05