Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this "Penny Black" a Joke?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
491 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennyblackie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this laughable stamp on eBay. Has the seller even seen a truly fine used penny black to begin with?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163536016108
Send note to Staff
Edited by pennyblackie - 02/10/2019 12:41 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1622 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out his other listings, the pics look normal except when he is doing an enlargement. Those seem to all look like this one. I think it's his scanner settings, or something.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
223 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too think seller is likely inexperienced with taking pictures / scans.

I looked at his feedback and he has the profile of a collector, buying and selling. It is priced fairly for a four margin 1d black. It could be a nice stamp, I may ask the seller for a better scan and go from there.
Edited by archerg - 02/10/2019 3:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4203 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Images are far too tiny.
2. Sharpness is cranked up to 11.
3. He may have desceening turned on, which you never want unless you are scanning a book/magazine item and are trying to eliminate rosette patterns from the offset printing.

There are many sellers out there still thinking it is the 1990s and that you have to make images as small as possible to save file size. There are some high-volume sellers out there with the most inexcusably tiny images. There's nothing more annoying than going to enlarge a listing image only to discover that there is no enlargement available because the image used was so tiny.
Valued Member
Singapore
491 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So it is after all just bad photography? My first impression was it looks really like a crude forgery.
Valued Member
223 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted the seller, not sure yet, several outcomes are possible. It never hurts to ask.
Edited by archerg - 02/10/2019 11:23 pm
Valued Member
223 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seller posted a passable scan. Not quite platable to my inexperienced eyes, yet. Wouldn't know a ray flaw from Ray Charles. Ask the right questions, please and thank you, and good things happen.
Edited by archerg - 02/12/2019 12:50 am
Valued Member
Singapore
491 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reposted image looks a lot better than the ghostly apparition
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05