Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sellers Who Price Over Full Retail

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1615 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   1:03 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone else ever noticed how many listings there are like this:

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/ne...all/24530593

This one is from Hipstamp but you get the idea. A Scott International binder with slipcase goes for around $65 from most suppliers. This one is being offered at $80 plus postage which in my case would be $15. Huh??

Are there that many buyers of these things that are too lazy or busy to do a few clicks and find something realistically priced?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2408 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you jack the price to start with you can have an amazing "sale" later.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The whole concept of a catalogue was to first establish a retail price, then discount from that to give the preferred buyer a "deal". No difference here.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
299 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962,
It depends where the item is, where it's come from, and what margin is involved.
For instance, if I want let's say a Lighthouse Vario album I have 3 options usually availbale to me. I can get it from eBay, I can get it from Amazon Japan or I can get it from Amazon US. Now one would think the best way to go would be Amazon Japan (given that I live in Japan). BUT, there are not retail/resellers of Lighthouse in Japan. So people import them from US, and then set up an Amazon store. Now they bought at retail (or near that), then had to pay shipping, then put it up for sale on Amazon, then have to store it in a country where space is REALLY expensive, then have to ship it. Do you think they're going to pay $70 for it in the US and then just resell it for $70 here? No.. There's lots of new costs added, and they still want to make something off of it, like any business would. So it goes up higher. Now... if I come along and I need it URGENTLY (like tomorrow), and I can get it from Amazon Japan, but the cost is now $120 but I MUST have it tomorrow, then I may well go ahead and buy it because now it's LOCAL. BUT, most of the time, I find I can go to Amazon US, (I'm a prime member too), and get it for the $70 retail, and then it arrives via global shipping (if I'm in no hurry), no extra cost. If I'm in a hurry I may be able to "expedite" it and get it in 3-4 days at an increase of around $30-$40. Then it becomes much of a muchness between which way to go. My last option would be eBay, and look in places like Hong Kong or Singapore that are "more near-by", maybe I can get one for $60 instead, and $25 shipping... and get it in 2 - 3 days.
You know, lots of people sell stuff, and they need to make money (no one will stay in business by only losing money). YOU as a consumer have something called a choice. And it's up to you. You can be savvy and look for a better deal, or maybe your time is worth more to you, and you don't want to spend then next 2 hours comparison shopping, it will arrive tomorrow, and so you just pull the trigger.
This is called capitalism.
Remember as well... One can sell anything CHEAP. It takes talent to sell value...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
531 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would never buy anything from them as they shafted me once!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I consider all of the factors, including item cost, item quality, seller's reliability, shipping cost, shipping time and maybe a few others. Usually, but not always, I buy at a lower cost.

People who sell at the high end of the scale never get my business, unless I have no other choices. With stamps especially, I can be very patient.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/11/2019 3:51 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05