Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying This Classic Precancel

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1251 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still there is a high resolution scan missing, perhaps a moderator can help you with the file.
The image above is not sharp and don't show details and have not a correct aspect ratio (the design is not a rectangle).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stamperix - 02/12/2019 10:20 am
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,

I use an Epson WF-3540 scanner and an old version of PhotoShop(CS2)to reduce 1200dpi scans to 200Kb files. PhotoShop, and likely other photo programs give options for "quality" when saving a jpg image. The following image of the $1 Franklin was made at 1200dpi, originally a 2.24Mb file, but saved as a 201Kb file which was easily accepted by the website.

This image (below) of the PhotoShop jpg save function shows the quality options (in this case 5 which produced a 357Kb file). The image shown was saved as a quality level 2.

Anyway, that is my way of producing quality scans. Hope it might be helpful.

Gary
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Michael Polelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info on pictures. Unfortunately my scanner is not great, and I don't have photoshop. So, I made the decision to just send it in to APS for expertization and see what comes back. Will update this thread when I get the cert back. To the previous question I do have the PSS email so will send some of the other updates to the catalog there.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael, Looks like it might to be too late to close the barn door, but did you try the image optimizer that is available on this website. I have never had a problem reducing the size of a file to the 200k threshold
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Michael...

for the update--that will keep the cynics and pessimists at bay.

Hal

Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Michael Polelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks WIllwood - I have not tried that and unfortunately I literally put in the mail two hours ago. It is good to know though for the future.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Michael Polelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
--- UPDATE ---

Well, the certification of the stamp was just completed (the result is online, but still waiting for the stamp and certificate to be mailed back):

Final opinion for certificate: 228782
United States Scott No. 354, used with Hartford, WIS precancel on old coil stock, genuine, thinned at center after paper adherence came off, pencil notation on back.

So, I am pretty excited to find this one. As others have pointed out there are no other 354s in the classic 2B catalog (and only 15 from the 1908 perf 12 coil series) so pretty rare. Hartford does have known precancels on the 4c perf 10 1916 issue, so I suspect the post office had some old stock and this is from that. A pretty interesting find!

Will send a scan of stamp and certificate to Ralph Kimball once I receive it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05