Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seller Admit To Hiding Fees In Postage Costs

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
923 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is part of the email I received when I complained about the high postage cost. (I zeroed out the amount)

"THE EXTRA 00.00 PARTIALLY COVERS THE LISTING FEE,PAYPAL FEE,PERCENTAGE FOR THE SELLING VALUE,PLUS MANY SMALL EXPENSE.

The so-called "extra postage" more than doubled the actual shipping cost.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6124 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is at least honest. He could also have added it to the cost of the merchandise. I do not see a problem with this

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2715 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If he was honest he would have disclosed all fees up front. Did he?
Valued Member
234 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I suggest you should complain to eBay and Paypal too, who took about 15% of your money when you paid the seller. Any buyer who thinks they are "free" is naive.

If it is a purchase under $20, you should expect to help the seller out with expenses. I'd be interested to know what $00.00 really was.
Edited by archerg - 02/10/2019 7:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
618 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timm: If you don't like the high postage, then don't bid. Sellers may set any price they want. Nobody is forcing you to buy from them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1119 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the seller in question was on eBay, then the costs are denoted as "shipping," which include shipping and handling (see under "details"), not just postage. SOP for mail order businesses.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2715 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the cost was disclosed upfront there is no issue. If they were increased after the fact it is different. You do not agree on a car price with all costs stipulated and when you go to pick it up pay the $1000 fee that they just tacked on for extra handling because they say so. I would be interested in seeing the listing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1112 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fee bay has manipulated PayPal, its selling portal, and its customers to make paying by mail essentially a thing of the past.

I tried adding a note to my sale invoice as a routine for almost a year a couple of years ago, providing my mailing address for those who want to pay by check. Not a single buyer paid by check.

The seller and PayPal fees that result from even a $10 stamp sale on fee bay are so high that I would stop selling stamps there if I didn't charge about twice first class postage for shipping and handling to cover SOME of the fees.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
596 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping cost can still be negotiated with some sellers after bidding. When the bidding passes a certain amount, some sellers were nice enough to include tracking mail for a nominal fee.
Valued Member
234 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a 4 euro cover yesterday for a friend. It was in Germany.

Seller is charging me 4 euros postage; covers are oversize so I can hardly complain. He doesn't take Paypal, and I didn't want to pay 20-30 euros for an 8 euro wire transfer, so I bought 10 euros and mailed it. My costs: $19.10 for ten euros from currency exchange, plus $3.00 for an international stamp - this for a 4 euro cover.

And, the seller will make maybe the price of a coffee on the item.

eBay, the postal system, finance and government have their hands deep in your pocket... the seller may not be the villain.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3543 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   01:48 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have free mailing for postage, packaging & handling so buyers can purchase multiple items and knows they will not get multiple mailing cost confusion when buying from our eBay store.

Then the price of my stamps for sale is to high I am told. Min purchase price is $1.99 so we loose on mailing. Most buyers purchase enough to cover mailing. More buyers than you would think like to buy a $1.99 item to get the free mailing to work their way and hurt us... maybe....who knows!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3899 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   02:38 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are always differing views on this. I only charge the actual postage cost when sending items. If I wish to cover any other costs - eBay, Paypal, envelope - I do so in setting the initial price. Excessive charging for "packaging" - often a re-used jiffy bag stiffened with a bit of a cereal packet - can be addressed when giving feedback.

It's hard to judge, but I haven't noticed any problems from abandoning free postage.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of the eBay listings that I have seen show the shipping amount in the listing. If the shipping amount is more than you are willing to pay, don't bid/buy. Simple as that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Japan
602 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   03:50 am  Show Profile Check ClassicPhilatelist's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a long time eBay seller... don't get me started on this topic.
(Too late).
One problem with eBay is their "shipping policies" are all US focused. The moment you go "outside the US", it's a nightmare.
Here's what happened to us in 2014:
We were highly active in eBay stamp fraud prevention. One seller in particular (many you know, Ryle) after getting a number of his items removed, decided to "take it out on us". They used 6 bogus accounts and bought 6 items from us all between $1 and $3 each. Back in that day, we would just put them in an envelope, well packed, and send via post ($1.10 SGD - we were based in Singapore then, so around 90c at that time). 5 days later, we got the first negative feedback... "This stamp is junk". The next day, we got 3 more negative feedbacks "Garbage", "worthless", etc. etc. And the next day one of the stamps that we had sent came back to us with a "No such address". Now we know that that stamp went to that customer who had posted a feedback saying "This stamp is garbage, not as described at all" (paraphrasing), but then we KNEW they had never gotten it! The feedback was just to damage our seller rating and status! Then we saw all 6 of these items bought within a day or two for $1 - $3 each end up with a negative feedback. We called eBay about it, and they said "What's the tracking number", and of course we said, "There is no tracking number we just sent it by regular mail BUT, we have the returned item as unbelievable while the feedback says the HAVE the stamp! And it's condition is bad. But eBay policy was "no tracking, no protection". Even when we told them we would send the item, unopened to them so they could examine it themselves, they refused to do anything. (Wouldn't take the evidence, wouldn't remove the feedback).
This is what we got for "helping" the platform and the community. So from then on we HAD to start sending any item sold by registered mail, which added $5 to the cost. (Now in the US the CHEAPEST registered mail you can get is $14.95...) That essentially brought an end to all "low value" items we had (which we really envisioned as more "add-on" anyway, because we also had the policy of always combining shipping and so only one shipping price no matter how many <individual> items you bought, OR the highest shipping cost of any single item (if we sell a commemorative year set in a folder, for example, and you bought 1 stamp besides, then the shipping would be for the big folder, but no more).
THEN... fast forward to about 18 months ago.
We had some *clown* (expletive removed but I backspaced over it, just because it felt good to type it) we combined two stamps they bought. We sent them. We put the tracking in. HE then claims that only one stamp arrived. And that the "tracking" was only for one item, not both. (Another way to manipulate the system, and eBay is HEAVILY weighted to the buyer and not the seller, even worse so before the separation of eBay and PayPal). SO they would do nothing once again, even with tracking, and we get two negative feedbacks on both (very nice, moderately priced items).
Essentially, I'd had enough. I pulled our eBay selling (around $50,000USD a month) and haven't returned as a seller since then.
Sellers get 0 protection from eBay despite the huge fees they pay even when the "deal goes right", and then we take it in the pants when eBay sides against us for the full cost of an item ($400 in one case for us), and we had nothing as a result. Just ripped off, facilitated by eBay.
We always listed the cost of our shipping, and we were constantly "de-rated" as a result of it, and the time it takes to get items (because Registered is NOT expedited, and in fact registering an items will SLOW it's delivery, not improve it). The number of complaints we got because 8 days later "My item hasn't arrived" also drove us insane with administrative headaches, only to find the item would show up 3 or 4 days later.
In all the items we sold we NEVER lost an item. Not one. But we were forced to put this stupid tracking on if we wanted ANY support from eBay, if there was every ANY dispute about an item.
Think this doesn't cost money??? Dead wrong.
I'm contemplating putting some items back onto eBay, but we're going to take a different approach, and no offence to anyone, but it's focused on keeping the "bottom feeders" away. Otherwise, if users continue to abuse sellers and the venue won't support them, sources for good quality material will dwindle further.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it comes down to one's definition of 'handling fees' within eBay's policies regarding surcharges.

'Allowed-
You can add a surcharge to the final price of an item...

Shipping and handling: You can add a reasonable handling cost that covers your costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the item. Handling costs can't be listed as a percentage of the final price

Not allowed -
Charging an extra fee to use a credit card instead of a check
Charging an extra fee to use PayPal
Edited by craigk - 02/11/2019 10:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4363 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   11:30 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the end of the day, the "shipping and handling" cost, whether itemized or not, could include any or all of the following, regardless of what is disclosed:

1. Postage
2. Insurance, whether USPS, third-party, or self-insured
3. Packaging
4. Labels
5. Tape
6. Time spent printing and affixing any of the above
7. Time to take to the post office
8. Time spent communicating with the customer
9. A portion of the PayPal fees associated with the shipping portion of the total
10. A portion of the eBay fees associated with the shipping portion of the total
11. Administrative overhead associated with any/all of the above
12. A "just because" amount

Candidly it can be anything the seller wants to include. Don't get hung up on what comprises the "shipping and handling fee". That level of splitting hairs accomplishes nothing.

The only thing to be concerned about as a buyer is the item cost + S&H = TOTAL.

Anything else is tilting at windmills.

We as buyers don't get to decide what a seller may or may not include in their "shipping and handling" amount... only whether we are willing to pay it.
Edited by revenuecollector - 02/11/2019 11:32 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05