Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perfins From Austria

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Brazil
59 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cjac76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
Can anyone help me with the identification of this austrian perfins?
Thank you!!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go:

1) AB-35G / Arnold Bachwitz AG. „Wiener Modekunst" / Vienna
2) CP-31 / User unknown / Vienna
3) FC-33 / Fratelli Callisto & Alberto Cosulich / Trieste
4) PK-31A1 / Philipp Knoch & Cie / Klagenfurt
5) HR&C-53 / H. Robitsek & Co / Vienna
6) CA-30 / Credit-Anstalt für Handel & Gewerbe / Trieste or Vienna
7) H&K-46 / Adolf Hahn & Kalmus / Prague
8) WBV-32A / Wiener Bank-Verein / Vienna
9) LB-24 / Länderbank / Vienna
10) K&M-54 / Kühle & Miksche / Vienna
11) FR-29 / Felizian Rauch / Innsbruck
12) SV-30A / Samuel Vidor / Vienna
13) WBV-36 / Wiener Bank-Verein / Vienna
14) OAGA-46 / Oesterr.-Amerik. Gummifabrik AG / Vienna
15) EJW-33 / Ed. J. Weinmann / Aussig an der Elbe
16) LB-21A / Österr. LÄNDERBANK / Vienna
17) Z-26 / Die Zeit / Vienna
18) WBV-55B / Wiener Bank-Verein / Vienna
19) JU-22 / Jnter-Unfall, „UNIVERSALE" / Vienna
20) @WBV-34 / Wiener Bank-Verein / Vienna
21) JK-30B / Johann Kremenezky AG. / Vienna
22) J&LQ-47 / Josef & Leopold Quittner AG./ Vienna

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfins were once considered damaged stamps with little value, but they now have a strong following among many collectors.
Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only "among" collectors. I know quite a few (including me) who don't collect normal stamps, just perfins.

But the "damaged" view is not gone for all. One year ago I looked for a stamp shop in a little town in Germany, found one and asked, if they had perfins. Know what the owner said? "I throw them all away immediately."

So if anyone has such rubbish, please let me know - they would perfectly fit to my over 50.000 worldwide (just perfins) collection!
Edited by tommtomm - 02/12/2019 03:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tommtomm, keep that going, there is no right or wrong in the world of philately. I find perfins on covers especially attractive to have.
Valued Member
Brazil
59 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjac76 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tommtomm,

Thank you for your help and willingness to help, and congratulations for the great knowledge ...

Are any of these perfins missing in your collection?

Best regards,
Claudio
Edited by cjac76 - 02/13/2019 8:53 pm
Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   05:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome ... but I wouldn't call it knowledge - it's more a "catalog having" thing.

They are all quite common perfins, so no treasure so far.
Maybe the EJW-33 could be an older Kreuzer issue, but it's hard to tell from the backside.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to tell if a perfin is genuine or forged?
Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some hints ... first of all the holes. It takes quite an effort to get all holes exactly on place, and sometimes you can tell from the way the holes were made. And a very good sign: most of the stamps had been perforated before cancelling. So the ink touched the inside of the holes. If you take a cancelled stamp and make the holes afterwards, the ink is just outside.

The next thing: the perforation has to fit to the cancellation place and time of use. I once saw two very nice German perfins with an elefant and a swan on eBay. The only problem was, they were punched into German South West African stamps - where they never could have been used by those companies.

Where you really have to pay attention, are scarce perfins (e.g. Finland). I only buy those from experts and known collectors. An Austrian perfin that is known just two times, and comes for 50 bucks from Eastern Europe ... well, you better go out and have a nice evening instead.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point regarding the postmark ink appearing on the edges of the punched holes. It is probably safer collecting perfins with cancellations or those found on covers.
Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cover collecting is the safest way of course, but also the most expensive. Regarding the more common perfins - you get one stamp for app. 10-20 Cents, but no cover in good shape for less than 5 Euros.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was reading an old 2015 thread on perfins in this forum and someone mentioned that expertisers refuse to expertise Aussie OS perfin stamps, especially if the stamp is unused. I actually quite like the OS kangaroo perfins and I believe these used on covers must be extremely rare.
Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the problem with Austrians/Australians - we don't know much about Australia, and vice versa.

I heard about the OS thing once, but not enough to talk about it, sorry!
Valued Member
Brazil
59 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjac76 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is the stamp with the EJW perfin...

Valued Member
Austria
117 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately a very common stamp, but as I thought a Kreuzer issue - pretty old, and the cancel fits to the town of the company. Using time should be short before 1900.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you collect straits settlement perfin stamps?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05