Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Queen Paper Identification?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add daf_16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Prior repairs are making it difficult for me to identify this stamps paper type.Any help would be appreciated!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6570 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show the other side

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes!2 cent green.

I believe there is a faint Registered cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
915 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever your damaged stamp is, it is certainly NOT on laid paper, but on horizontal wove i.e. it has a horizontal linen-binding as a wire/sieve structure.

Just ready for the "round archives" ;)
Valued Member
309 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thin to medium horizontal wove paper, from mid 1869 and later period... the commonest LQ paper

Duckworth would have put it in his "paper 10" group

Note how alignment of dimples on surface gives an unintended diagonal pattern.
Valued Member
309 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OP: you're welcome, help apparently was not appreciated... and I won't bother replying in the future.
Edited by archerg - 02/13/2019 02:14 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27490 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   04:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Archerg,
please rethink your decision,
some members, for whatever reason, do not get back to the site immediately,
I for one, appreciate reading your knowledge.
Please keep it up.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
915 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Linen-binding horizontally ....
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your responses are very much appreciated. Sorry for the delayed response. I rarely have a a lot of free time as I have 2.5 year old twin boys( for which I'm making an album for them from a collection of inherited stamps. So again sorry for the delay. I do appreciate the knowledge sharing. Very much so.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So withat last image, with the blue linen binding, that entire corner is the repair I mentioned. That's why I was having difficulty figuring the paper type out. It didn't seem to match the rest of the stamp...
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I've traced a kind of outline of the repair. Some of which looks to of a pulp-patch sort of repair. Sorry, again I don't know the lingo. Even the larger patch has had its edges blended in very well....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
968 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to pull the plug on that stamp - send it to hospice care so it can live out its remaining days thoroughly medicated and feeling no pain.

Send me your address (either through the board or through my web page (cgpostal.com) and I'll send you a replacement copy. I have a bunch left from a large lot I picked up to get a few specific ones that also deserve to go to new homes.

Chip
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx, will do. I really was so confused about what was up with that stamp!
Valued Member
309 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doubtless I should have exercised more patience, enjoy the LQ's, it is gratifying to see a generous spirit of giving here too.

In very old collections it is common to see selvedge used as a hinge, you have this here as well as an old paper hinge. Condition was not important, as evidenced by that woofer.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again for your help. I have one other stamp that had a similar backing so now I know what it is!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05