Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Best Way To Keep A Record Of What You Own?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
388 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, I haven't tried looking at the source DB yet. It uses the open source Firebird SQL database, with ability in the application to import/export from CSV and others (e.g. flexibility on text delimiters). I"m more familiar with MS SQL, so haven't played around with it as yet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect worldwide and used to remember what stamps I had. As I have aged and as the number of my stamps has increased I usually end up repurchasing about 50% of stamps that I already have when sorting through worldwide lots of individual stamps at stamp shows. I have tried to mitigate this by bringing along pages of the common design issues that are near the beginning of the Scott catalog which I have torn out of an old volume. I draw lines through the listings I have or notate which of the set I need. At least I don't buy these twice (unless I have forgotten to update).

Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just use Microsoft Word. For areas I specialize in, I use the Table feature to keep track of which postmarks and covers I have.

I also use the table to maintain lists of all the countries I have.

For countries I am actively collecting, I maintain an ordinary Word document where I specify which Scott numbers I need. For some areas, I need to specify used or unused, and what the cv is.

For some countries, where I only have a few stamps, I write that I am looking for anything except those, like this: x(3,5-7,29,C15).

I keep it compact. 7 or 8 pages, 9-point type. In bold I put the ones I really want, as opposed to those that I just don't have. In red, I put those that I really have to have. In italics, I put those I probably can't afford. In blue, I put those that are worth less than a dollar. Green is for varieties, while orange is for those that I already have used but want a mint copy.

It works for me.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I decided to try an Excel spreadsheet: separate workbook for each country; separate page for each category of stamp; one column to indicate whether or not I own a given stamp and, if yes, its condition; subsequent columns for variants with minor numbers (a,b,c, etc.). Nothing more needed so far. Very simple and easy, though it is a bit tedious getting everything entered. Yet, as both Partime and Bobby De La Rue suggest above, it promises to be very easy to maintain going forward. Glad I wrote to inquire.
Eric
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1146 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once you have the template on a page the way you like it you can copy the whole thing into a new page in the workbook.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also set-up an Excel spreadsheet (actually two, one US the other WW) with multiple columns for SC#, Description Mint or Used, condition, cat value, FDC date & place of issue, notes. My US has multiple tabs, by year, inventory, special issues (Ceremony, album, BOB, Airmail etc.), the WW is tabbed by country. Once set up a copy commend allows the template page to be added & renamed for 5-year grouping (2015-19, 2020-24).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using Excel for some time now and today just passed 54,000 stamps in the database!

WootWoot!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1146 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats's a lot of stamps!

How big is the file Stampman2002, just out of interest?
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the StampMate database unencrypted?
Don

The last time I took a quick peek of it, yes, it is stored unencrypted. But I think dismantling the data (or any of the other internals) is against the StampMate EULA (end-user license agreement. I think this policy is a requirement/consequence of StampMate's data provider and their API licensing terms).

-k-
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 02/15/2019 01:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Stamp Manage uses an unencrypted Access database and you can access the information using excel or Access. Images are stored in a separate folder(directory) by country / catalog number.
Al
Edited by angore - 02/15/2019 06:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just an FYI: My Excel file is 969K, I think I have single workbook template file that I produced somewhere in my archives which would be way smaller.
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bill Resh: you and I too. I would love to be more facile at the computer to be able to set up spread sheets etc but alas all of this is stored in my memory, however imperfect. This leads me to buy duplicates for the same reason I bought the original—I liked the design or color—only to find out that I already had it. This also occurs when just sifting through the catalog looking for classic engraved stamps and seeing a series that would be fun to collect (here I am thinking of early Peru or hike) only to find out I already had it——the joys of aging!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1146 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks eligies. Getting on to 1Mb size of an xls file is a lot of data!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby, the file is 4119kb. By the way, I only collect U.S.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fgski to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Excel as a database for each country. It is time consuming once you start; however, once over that hump, all it is is maintenance to keep the database up to date. Also when using Excel, you determine what fields you want to include, you make it as easy as you want or complicate things. I have the following fields: Scott's #; Catalog #; Date of Issue; Denomination; Description of Stamp; Color; Condition and Notes. I have a blank column prior to the notes to place the value of the stamp; however, this is a changeable field.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05