Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Cancel Be Real? I Hope So.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Louise411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Could this be for real? And I am interested, what it could be? The Gold Coast is in Africa, I don't know where; near the Niger river. Was that a State then? Anything you could tell me is most appreciated. Thank you.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look up Ghana that is the current country name of what was the British Colony of "Gold Coast"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5640 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 thing I can tell you is that you posted it in the classic U.S. stamp section. Yes, Gold Coast was a British colony in Africa that I believe today is called Ghana. The 1/3d appears to be the correct air mail rate to Europe. Both stamps are minimal value butI for one like the typed cover, nice and clean.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3254 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover actually has a tie to US classics.......
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am watching for info and thank you all for what you have given. The map has changed a lot. After WW1 and Versailles and then WW2 and I need to know more details. This Forum is wonderful for learning and I greatly appreciate it. I always read responses. Oh, and thank you all.
Pillar Of The Community
2125 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gold Coast map from page 42 of the "Rand McNally-Cosmopolitan World Atlas - Centennial Edition, 1856-1956"

Yes, with all the border changes and town name changes, it is very useful to have a world atlas from pre-WWI, between the wars, and post-WWII. Used book sales often have these volumes quite reasonable. I paid $1 for the volume scanned above.

While used singles may have a modest value off cover, finding contemporary uses on nice covers can be very challenging.
Edited by John Becker - 02/11/2019 10:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1144 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed John, Postal History collectors should have a good array of maps. Such a vital resource!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Louise : Tip
Try and place an pertinent Name in the thread title, "Gold Coast" would have been nice.
Choose also World modern used, Not US.

The Postmark? I wonder if the boundaries have changed? Google suggests
"ADDAH" is the Ivory Coast, but I have it on Gold Coast Stamps

"ADA" on the map supplied here

Nice cover!

Not my stamps.
Edited by rod222 - 02/12/2019 03:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
576 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the postmark is from Accra

(not mine)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Vayolene .
Now that looks obvious.

"Joan the Wad Queen"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_the_Wad

Edited by rod222 - 02/12/2019 03:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Gold Coast is a former British colony that was administered by them from 1867 to its independence in 1957. The UK (and the French and the other European powers) granted independence to all of their colonies Africa around that time, and most of them in a fit of nationalism decided to change their names. As was mentioned, the Gold Coast changed their name to Ghana. During this time the postal system in the Gold Coast which was under the administration of the British printed stamps with the name Gold Coast on them along with the king or queen's likeness and made cancelling devices and machines for the various cities and towns throughout the colony. Up until 1875 regular British stamps were supplied and used but with Gold Coast cancellations. After then the British printed stamps especially for the colony that in included the name Gold Coast on the stamps. So, every card and cover that was mailed from anyone in the Gold Coast from 1875 until 1957 will have Gold Coast stamps and cancellations. That is a great deal of mail. The very early mail, especially the material that uses British stamps with Gold Coast cancellations is the most desirable to collectors in terms of value, though making a collection of examples from all of the eras can be a lot of fun, especially finding the small post offices outside of the capital city of Accra.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And this is where it was going to - a children's home

Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 02/19/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were (and still are) a great many missionaries and non-governmental organizations from developed countries living in countries like the Gold Coast - working there for either humanitarian or religious purposes, including running orphanages or trying to get children adopted by people back in their home countries (which is a bit questionable in my mind - taking children from their countries rather than having them adopted in their own countries - a country's future is based on their children). This seems likely to be from one such person.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05