Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 1582 Vs 1582b Color and Gum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddaann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Scott notes 1582 as on greenish paper with shiny gum and 1582b as cream paper with dull gum. However, Durland describes both as dull gum and 1582 as tinted paper and 1582b as white paper. Can someone clarify which catalog is correct, or is there more to the story?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are examples of both shiny & dull gum varieties for 1582 and the dull 1582b. The top photo has three variations of 1582 in shiny gum. You can see the tinted paper color varies quite a bit. There is also two different colored inks one being much more orange in color. The middle one looks a lot like the color of the 1582b paper.

In the image below the blocks all have dull gum. You can see the paper on these vary as well and the dull version also comes in two ink colors. The one on the left is 1582 and the right is 1582b. You can tell the 1582b since this plate number was unique to 1582b. The one in the middle I assume is 1582b as well based on paper color.

As you can see none of them are what I would call greenish paper and none of them are on what I would call white paper. It may be that the paper is white but paper is picking up an overall tint from the ink in all cases. The white paper is more of a cream color.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did some addition research into these issues using LW UV light. It was late and I didn't look at gum side. Taking into account gum side color just adds to the confusion. I found if you want to separate the various type your best route is to use LW UV, look at gum under normal light and ink color. When you do you get many more variations than you will have expected. These where clearly printed on numerous paper types. The following types exist:

1. 1582 shiny gum red-brown ink- paper is a greenish gray & gum greenish white under LW. Here is where the green may be coming in.

2. 1582 shiny gum red-brown ink- paper is a greenish gray & gum is yellow under LW. Here is where the green may be coming in.

3. 1582 shiny gum red-brown ink- paper is a brownish gray & gum greenish white under LW.

4. 1582 shiny gum red-brown ink - paper is brownish & gum whitish/light cream color under LW.

5. 1582 shiny gum orange-brown ink - neither source lists this version but the paper is light purplish gray with low/medium fluorescent properties and gum is whitish or very light cream under LW.

6. 1582 shiny gum orange-brown ink - neither source lists this version but the paper is lighter than #5. with low fluorescent/medium properties and gum is yellowish under LW.

7. dull gum red-brown ink - paper brownish gray non fluorescent & gum brownish gray under LW. Gum yellowish under visible ligh. Key characteristic appears to be paper is not fluorescent under LW.

8. dull gum orange-brown ink - paper grayish non fluorescent & gum grayish under LW. Gum greenish yellow under visible light. Key characteristic appears to be paper is not fluorescent under LW.

9. 1582b dull gum red-brown ink - here is where the white paper Durland mentioned comes in. The paper is whitish medium fluorescent and gum grayish under LW. The gum tends to be a fairly light cream color and paper in general is lighter in color than 1582 versions under visible light.

10. 1582b dull gum red-brown ink - here is where the white paper Durland mentioned comes in. The paper is whitish high fluorescent and gum whitish under LW. The gum tends to be a fairly light cream color and paper in general is lighter in color than 1582 under visible light.

So were does that leave you? Totally confused. None of the sources provide an adequate answer.

To simplify shiny version only comes in 1582 with numerous varieties. Dull version of 1582 is on non-fluorescent paper versus 1582a which is on fluorescent (hi-brite as some might call it) paper. If you don't have a black light for 1582b look for one on fairly light paper. Red-brown and orange brown are fairly obvious to separate.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is wonderful information. THANKS I'll check my copies tonight.
Dan
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05