Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On Selling High Grade Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1781 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know used albums have a limited market but I have nearly a full set of Lighthouse hingeless album pages for Great Britain up to 2005 that I am wanting to list on eBay. I usually use the auction option but am now wondering if I might get a better result if I decide on a reasonable selling price and offer this lot as a Buy it now with offers accepted? I have taken that approach a few times before and always get a lot of ridiculous offers. That's to be expected I guess.

Just wondering; many of you are more experienced sellers and your input would be appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1087 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you can come up with a reasonable price I'd recommend listing it Fixed Price and if it doesn't sell in a month send it to auction.

I don't list Fixed Price very often because I can't really figure out a fair price on my stuff but when I do use Fixed Price I set it to automatically reject offers below 50% of asking price. I just don't need the stress!

Good luck!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for what it is worth. I think that used hingeless albums do very poorly on eBay. I would count on no more than 1/3 of original retail, no matter if they were ever used, or not. You have to have that one special buyer who is looking for the exact album(s) you are selling, otherwise everyone with any interest at all will try and low ball you. Very frustrating, especially when you are sure of the quality of what you are selling... I would try other sites (such as this one) before going this way. If you do a BIN with best offer on eBay, you will get tons of low offers, so KRelyea's advice above is very wise. Set a threshold to automatically deny paltry offers and you won't get pestered too much. In addition, take lots of photos and talk up the condition in the listing. Just some ideas.

John
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anghus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962, I sent you an email.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
619 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the problems you may run into is many people may only want the 1st set of the early pages and don't want to spend money on more modern hingeless albums for 20 cent stamps.

Many times, you can buy the albums with stamps and get the albums for almost nothing.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1781 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   1:54 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd second the caution re hingeless albums and unrealistic sales expectations. Last month I listed and ultimately sold, a like new immaculate Lighthouse album for DDR Germany 1949-1969; I bought it from a discount dealer in Germany two years back and paid s bit under $300.I listed it at a start of $35, assuming I'd wind up with $75-100 or so. It went for $37, one advance over the minimum with just two bids. Granted it is not the most popular collecting area these days but still..
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this just goes to show you that album publishers are charging too much. They have fundamental problems with their business model, where they have high fixed costs, and declining market.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with the above posts regarding really low selling prices for nice hingeless albums online. I have picked up a few nice hingeless albums without specifically searching for them (or even thinking I wanted one) but happily have been pleased with the purchases I've made. I prefer three-ring binders and pages (more interchangeable with other types of binders), and Lighthouse brand, but Davos and others are fine too.

I'm wondering if you included a few stamps in your Great Britain albums (for instance a bunch of Penny Reds or even a Penny Black and or some other early desirable stamps, you might generate more interest.

For instance, someone who originally was looking only for a Penny Black might consider purchasing an album for, say, fifty dollars or so more, if it had a decent specimen of the world's first adhesive stamp.....it worked for the sellers of those hingeless albums to me over the years! Your albums would thus show up in a search for Penny Blacks, so you are casting a much wider net!

Keep in mind shipping costs for heavy albums can be a deal-breaker, especially for someone outside the USA. If you provide free shipping (to US addresses) remember you can often buy discount postage at less than half of face value online or elsewhere these days to help defray your shipping expenses!

Good luck selling your hingeless albums; maybe it will be someone at SCF!

--Jim Wentzell
stampguyaps177-681
Edited by jimwentzell - 02/13/2019 2:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3228 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stockbook collections have an upside financially given that albums generate so little return. I have piles of quality hingeless albums from bulk auction purchases collecting dust and taking up space and occasionally I chuck some overflow into the dumpster.
Valued Member
Canada
384 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got 3 nice Germany Lighthouse albums earlier this year that way. Basically paid an estimated $50-75 each for the albums beyond what I paid for the stamps included. Much cheaper than buying new from the supplier.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the answer, but maybe someone does. Can you ship and empty album by media mail, certainly would cut down on shipping costs in the US.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Willwood
That is frowned upon by USPS as would sending stockbooks by media mail. Media mail is for printed matter only.

Rich
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05