Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Political Cover From Missouri

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
34 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add daf_16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do we think of this cover? Sent from the attorney general to his wife. I like the bears "cachet"? Not sure if that's the correct term for that. I believe Hockaday was Attorney general of Missouri around 1875!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Hockaday, probably the same one who became Attorney General in 1875, negotiated an important mail contract in 1858. He agreed to provide weekly mail service between St Joseph, MO, and Salt Lake City. This, part of the so-called "Central Route" for Overland mail, was in direct competition with the well-known Butterfield Overland Mail in the south. This route, under Hockaday, didn't get as much traffic as hoped for, since the great southern route was the one primarily used.

Immediately prior to the above stint, Hockaday had partnered with others to provide contract mail service from Santa Fe to Independence, MO.

Hockaday is intimately tied to the history of the expansion of the US Mail service to the West.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty awesome history!
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a cachet. The correct philatelic term is "corner card". Corner cards are the wording, sometimes with a pictorial feature, in the upper left hand corner of a postal stationery envelope or of an envelope designed to have regular adhesive stamps affixed to it. It is a preprinted return address - sometimes very plain with just the person's, organization's, or business's name, street, town and state, but also they are often made with something more fanciful such as drawings or images that reflect something about the sender worked into it such as this example. There are collectors of corner cards with interesting images worked into them - typically ones with interesting themes of horses, boats, factories, railroads, etc. etc.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the clarification, I didn't know what the name for it was and now I do!
Pillar Of The Community
1133 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit more information on this. In the title of your posting you describe this as a political cover which it is not. The corner card shows it is from someone in the Missouri Attorney General's office which makes it having to do with some legal matter. I do not know the date of this cover, but Edith Hockaday shows up in the 1880 census as being 34 years old at that date and living in Fulton, Missouri with her husband, Jonathan. She is listed as being a housewife while her husband is listed as being a lawyer. Apparently she had some kind of legal business with the State at this time.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daf_16 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only meant political in the sense that it was sent from a political office I found this info on John A. Hockaday. Who was attorney general and married to Edith Hockaday.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05