Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The "Out Of Work" Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1525 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think that these were used in a union member's monthly dues booklet, but I'm not sure.

What do you think?

Jim

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1052 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
297 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - try using RetroReveal to pop out the cancel.

May help you learn additional info.
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RetroReveal

Valued Member
Learn More...
297 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13 - thanks for doing that.

I would have done it myself but I was in the middle of making hingeless pages last night and wanted to finish that project up.

I bet that canx reads "DUES PAID". Can just see the "S" and the spacing is right.

Of course, it really could be just about anything!
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this on a google search. Might not be the exact same cancel, but pretty close.

Valued Member
135 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure this would apply to the first stamp, but the second stamp has "IPEU" at centre, which was the International Photo-Engravers Union of North America. Such Defense Fund stamps were used as receipts for special assessments above and beyond the monthly dues, and were attached to the worker's membership booklet or card. For more on some early IPEU stamps, see the article "Union Dues and Assessment Receipt Stamps" by R. Riley in The American Revenuer (vol 19, No. 2, #172, page 15-16) which is available online.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
531 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stamp. Thanks for sharing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05