Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin Has A Funny Face. Scott #40

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,713Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
4 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So, Franklin has a very strange looking face here. Any thoughts about what might be going on?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Left side of design ok as #40 - or at least something from the reprint plate, aka proof.
Middle and upper right looks like a piece of another stamp glued on. Maybe a #7.

This stamp is probably rebacked and maybe even had gum added. Look at the perfs all around. There is stuff in them that shouldn't be there.
#40 was issued with no gum.

This stamp was someone's creation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by txstamp - 02/16/2019 7:59 pm
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It looks Photoshopped. The stitch line extends beyond the stamp. Not sure if games are being played here but it can't be a good thing.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, That "stitch line" is a image scan issue if it goes through the stamp and background. I experience it very often. If the line goes through an important plaiting point, I have to rescan the image to put the line elsewhere. At 2400 dpi, the line will cut somewhere.

Oldurn, can you scan it over and repost it here? Maybe the face blur was a scan issue too.
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed it might be a stepper motor scanner problem; I assumed the OP would have noticed it since the face area is what the thread was about.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I get that line in a lot of my scans as well. Very annoying.

It usually doesn't cause this degree of distortion, however. Usually just the skew of the image at the point of the line.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7378 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never mind the stitchline, the perforations look totally different on both sides of that line, and that sort of bugs me?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfs at right are obvious fake, as is the rest of the stamp as I outlined, pending scan verification. Stamp made from spare parts.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1122 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm! One post and no response. Maybe the answer is what others have described. Digital manipulation of image. The face area looks like it was mushed as lines are not at all normal looking as if it was modified.
Edited by No1philatelist - 02/16/2019 11:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taking a closer look at that stamp, it appears to have been cut along design and pasted with another stamp. It is hard to tell how the face parts got mixed and where the cut there is.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   05:36 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of this topic must be to amuse the OP. Maybe he/she has a lot extra time?

The image is of two different stamps spliced together along that line that appears to be a scanner artifact. Look at how the portion of the stamp right of the line is out focus.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And oldurn hasn't returned to this thread since posting it...
Looks like a time waster.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1473 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, oldurn is the name of a HipStamp seller.

ETA: from Texas
Edited by dudley - 02/17/2019 09:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
755 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   09:22 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then its also odd the same question wasn't posed on the HipStamp forum...
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Looking closer at this image, I am doubting that this is a scanner malfunction. The image appears to be two different sized images combined; this would explain why the left hand side is shifted down at the top and shifted up at the bottom.

If this is a scanner glitch, I cannot think of a way it could shift it in two different directions and/or distort the image size.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely agree that we need clarification on whether the scan is legit.

That said, when I tried to scan a die sunk large die proof, I just gave up. The problem was differing heights of the surface. The 'sunk' part would never get in focus. Scanning a 3D object in 2D == nope. If the stamp is stitched as it looks, that could create a similar 3D problem, and cause the lower section to be out of focus.

I agree - confirming scans front/back here are needed.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,713Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05