Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Can Be Done About The USPS Vandals?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,396Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A dealer from eBay sent me a package and chose nice stamps to put on it... and then came the United States' Postal Incompetent Service Staff and did what you see in the scan.
Isn't there a way to prevent that? Can't a philatelic organization turn to them and ask them not to do so?
On one hand they encourage stamp collecting, but on the other hand they brutalize them this way.
I get why they do it, but who nowadays reuses stamps?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6565 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a lot of people, I suspect, given the queries I had about unfranked stamps within kiloware lots I sold on eBay.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8024 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plenty talked about here - just search for "Marker Monkey". I received an APS circuit a week ago and the sender had mailed it with several airmail stamps depicting US landscapes. All destroyed with a Sharpie.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always disappointing to receive something like this. Since it is non-machinable, the sender should have nicely asked the mail clerk to hand cancel it. I have found that they will almost always do this. Still, that doesn't guarantee that someone else won't come along with a marker or ball point pen to spoil your day.

From the standpoint of the defacer, he/she is protecting revenue...just doing what they are supposed to do.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/16/2019 5:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If someone here is a member of one of the big US philatelic organizations, cant they initiate a plea not to do so?
Why can't they cancel it, or, if they want something to encourage collectors, to implement a new "cancelation of lack of cancelation". It will be a new topic to collect (more money for them, FDC and so), and it will be less barbaric.
Edited by Rob Roy - 02/16/2019 5:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest that you remind senders to ask for good solid cancels. I have several very lightly cancelled packages that later were "marked by the monkey".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What frustrates me even more than the marker monkeys is when the stamps get shredded by the USPS machinery. I don't have any examples to show you, since I generally just chuck those into the recycling bin.
Rest in Peace
720 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all considered revenue protection.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1349 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Easy fix for this. When your sender is mailing a package and using stamps ask him to take a piece of clear plastic and a roll of tape with him to the P.O. After the stamps are cancelled, put the plastic over them and tape around the edges. Mail.

And when you get your package plastered with nicely cancelled high values or souvenir sheets, you will be a happy camper, uh, collector.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 02/16/2019 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8508 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am writing my Congressman forthwith.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The way to prevent it is to get the sender to stand in line and have a clerk cancel the package. This means getting a shipper to waste up to a half hour for you. I'm very sure that the packages attacked by marker monkeys are those dropped at the front counter or put in the parcel receptacle.

The Israel PO did you no favors, either.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6565 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very true. One of the benefits of buying discounted stamps is the minimising of queuing in the post office. Most of my stuff goes into the pillar box round the corner from my house. The larger items I hand to the man at the general shop counter while buying my milk and bread.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi brazil, if you refer to the white sticker on the upper right corner, it was glued only at the top, not on the stamps.
As you can see, none of the stamps were canceled, and it's the same with the other packages I received from him. I think that the white sticker on the left is how he paid.
Yes, dealers could make more effort, but isn't it time to make the USPS change their attitude? And who's better to make that change than some of the bedrock philatelists here that must have connections and power to influence the USPS?
Edited by Rob Roy - 02/17/2019 12:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trabz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it cruel than Lebanese Postal Service?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One is generally not going to get cancels unless it gets handed to a counter clerk. And there is no guarantee that the cancels will not get smudged or the stamps will not be damaged along the way. Package handling leaves much to be desired these days.

Quote:
isn't it time to make the USPS change their attitude? And who's better to make that change than some of the bedrock philatelists here that must have connections and power to influence the USPS?

It doesn't work like that here. The only evident outside influence that the USPS has is by bulk mailers of advertising, aka junk mailers; Amazon; and members of the US Congress, quite a few of whom would like to see the postal system privatized under the delusion that it would help normal citizens. Further, the USPS very much prefers to create and handle metered mail and really only wants to sell stamps to collectors where they will not be used.

It now usually takes 5-6 days for letter mail from large cities in Florida to get to large cities in California. It goes by airplane, and transit time took 3+ days not very many years ago. I do not want this travel time to take even longer if you want all parcels nicely cancelled.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/17/2019 4:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6565 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   5:01 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of bedrock philatelists, though. Just wondering which of our members are Fred, Barney and Dino ...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,396Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05