Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Can Be Done About The USPS Vandals?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,406Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
10711 Posts
Posted 02/17/2019   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postal systems objective is to deliver mail and has nothing to do with stamp collecting; they are protecting their income when they cancel stamps. Stamps serve the purpose of accounting for a postal system. It does not matter if mail is cancelled with a machine or by hand.

I have a collection of vintage automobile license plates hanging in my garage. Does the Division of Motor Vehicles have any responsibility to cater to me just because I happen to collect plates? No, license plates serve a purpose of being used to ID auto owners and the cars they drive.

If a postal worker sees a piece of mail without a postmark, they are required to cancel it. I assume that like most employees and employers, the expectation is to get the job done efficiently. Should they return the mail piece into the beginning of the mail stream instead of simply using a marker? That costs more money and probably increases delivery time.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
802 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
trabz, you're right. I was hoping that the philatelists' organizations in the USA had more influence.
hy brazil, used uncanceled stamps are acceptable. If a marker monkey was to replace his/her marker with a cancellation rubber stamp, it won't slow down the process.
Edited by Rob Roy - 02/18/2019 01:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1597 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest that collectors adopt a change of attitude and view these obliterations as just another aspect of modern postal history. Over the weekend I attended the APS show and the top winning exhibit, covering the recent USPS issue of the $2 inverted Jenny, included a large on-cover multiple that had been canceled with a black marker. It did not detract from the exhibit. These cancellations are not going to stop, so let's include the stamps in exhibits and albums and not worry about it. They are the pen cancels of the 21st Century.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5494 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And we wonder why postal clerks mutter under their breaths about entitled PITA stamp collectors?

As Don mentions above, the job of the USPS is to make sure the stamps are cancelled, not to cater to the aesthetic whims of stamp collectors.

If you want to make sure that your letters or parcels get nice pretty handstamp cancels, then you have to ask your sellers to hand over the items at the counter and request handstamp cancels. In all likelihood, most sellers, especially those doing any volume, will not be able to do this.

It's not "vandalism", it's postal employees doing their jobs.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
802 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason, this dealer's letter stamps never get canceled. I guess it has something to do with the white strip on the upper left corner of the cover. So sometimes the stamps arrive untouched, and sometimes they are vandalized as you saw.
Time waste was mentioned above - If the first clerk would have canceled them in the first place, the other clerk wouldn't have needed to use a marker.
If they are required to cancel it - fine, do cancel it, with a rubber stamp, not with a marker or a pen. If someone would argue that pen saves time - why not abolish cancelation all together and replace them with markers. But if the USPS can ask it's employees to use rubber stamp in the first place, why not ask to do so if a cover missed cancelation?
As for the USPS not owning anything to the collectors, they make a nice income from FDC and sheets and other philatelia, they do consider collectors worthy of investing in various philatelia, so it's ok to ask them to show some courtesy in the cancelation subject.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,406Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05