Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps Sending A Secret Message

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1335 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 22crows to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting article that mentions the part played by Mexican and Cuban postage stamps in Fidel Castro's plan to overthrow the Cuban government:

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/public...r-revolution
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
103 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey 22crows, that was a very interesting story and even though I have done research on the Castro revolution I hadn't realized that they were using stamps on their mail as a message communications device. I suppose beside different stamps that they could turn the stamps at different angles and use placement on the envelope which could tell the whole story to the recipient without even needing to read the letters contents.

Reminds me of when Baden Powell was a spy and drew maps on the backs of postage stamps before affixing them to the envelopes to fool the censors who were checking his mail.
Some one should do a book on philatelic espionage, that would be an interesting read.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05