Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Link To Article About Ending Of Stamps.com Deal With USPS

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,577Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/22/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How will this impact these computer generated stamps? Will the demand for them go up now that they are no longer produced?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...0-2019-02-21
Send note to Staff
Michael Darabaris

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 02/22/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never liked computer generated stamps and am extremely happy to see them go.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 02/22/2019   8:57 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3193 = you did not read far enough:

"McBride said in the conference call that the company hadn't entirely severed its relationship with the USPS, and will still sell stamps along with other services. "
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/22/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Get ready for their new ads: "people think that just because our name is 'stamps dot com' we are just about stamps, but they're wrong!"

https://www.ispot.tv/brands/d32/overstock-com ... Overstock has been acting like they were never just about overstocked items ... where did you dumb folks out there ever get that idea?

https://investor.stamps.com/static-...7b881e8683aa ... the 2018 Form 10-K emphatically states that they see the future in the Shipping (eCommerce) side of their business versus the Mailing (First Class, etc) side of their business.

The Risks section of that report (always the best part) begins on p16 (p18 of the PDF), and on p24 (p26 of the PDF) offers:

Quote:
Regulations and/or USPS policy or practices may cause disruptions to, or the discontinuance of our business.

No kidding

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who wonders if this is a great time to buy the stock)
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   04:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...ikeyPikey (who wonders if this is a great time to buy the stock)

Ideally you would have gone short on Stamps.com last month...LOL

Stamps.com is reselling first class mail services, why would anyone invest in anything to do with first class mail service? Slow-witted and legally burdened postal systems are getting out of first class mail business because they now understand it is going away. The future (for a while) is in delivering parcels.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first class mail volume is still almost 60 billion pieces and although declining 2 billion a year it may be too early to call it dead. What one would expect is that first class mail prices will climb to levels closer to smaller parcels like a minimum home delivery fee for anything.

As I read the article stamps.com deal with the USPS fell part over stamps.com selling competitive services. Value added services for any aspect (even parcel) has to be risky.

Al
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   08:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al,
Well jump right in and invest heavily in the Stamps.com and the future of first class mail. Let us know how you make out.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps.com blames Amazon because of 2 day shipping gaurantees which Fedex and UPS have and the USPS does not. Thus Stamps.com will now partner with Fedex and UPS. What value will Stamps.com bring to the table? Not much.
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postal services like USPS missed the boat on identifying the next generation postal service. Which part of the term email did they not get? I do not find fault with the USPS missing the fact that a 14-year-old school boy (Shiva Ayyadurai) worked out most of the email challenges in his 1978 system. But by 1995, they should have made the decision to become the primary email host in this country. They should have built the infrastructure and the technology to host everyone's email with permanent email addresses. It was a no-brainer. Think about it, they could have offered everyone a permanent email address like joesmith@po.gov. Even if you changed internet providers, changed locations, changed anything… you would have the same email address for your entire life if desired. The USPS had the resources, had the trust, had everything they needed except the vision and/or will.
They dropped the ball and in all likelihood will now fade into being one of several parcel delivery services. The 'last mile' is killing them and this will always be costly, even with drones. The business plan here is 'go to every single house every day'. LOL They are currently making noise about reinventing and replacing first class mail with a digital equivalent (pssst USPS, it already exists and is called email).
Don
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Thus Stamps.com will now partner with Fedex and UPS. What value will Stamps.com bring to the table? ...

The platform. Just what Amazon & eBay &&& provide: a one-stop, integrated solution.

For each package on the new not-just-stamps-dot-com, you'll get price & delivery options from all three carriers, and you'll click on the one you want, and you'll get a shipping label, a pickup scheduled, and consolidated shipping cost reports.

That might be worth more than the right to print stamps.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... they could have offered everyone a permanent email address like joesmith@po.gov. Even if you changed internet providers, changed locations, changed anything… you would have the same email address for your entire life if desired. The USPS had the resources, had the trust, had everything they needed except the vision and/or will.

Permanent, lifetime eMail addresses are a product that almost nobody wants.

I've been a customer of pobox.com since July 1996, enjoying a variety of permanent, lifetime eMail addresses ... personal, business, very personal, new business, etc.

And, over the past 22 years, when people have advised me of their new eMail addresses, I've always responded with a pitch for pobox.com.

And, over the past 22 years, I've scored exactly two converts.

Why?

Losing your old eMail account means losing all your old spam.

Losing your old eMail account means losing all your old, crowded InBox.

Losing your old eMail account means getting a fresh start.

Q/ What is more American than a fresh start?

Losing your old eMail account is an easy auto-de-cluttering technique ... after all, as Marie Kondo would ask, does your old eMail address bring you joy?

USPS did not miss the boat.

There was no boat.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Huh?
No one said that you HAD to have a permanent email address. It is like a PO Box.
Spam or crowded inboxes that are filled are resolved in other ways, not by changing your email address!

ikey, do you sell your house and move because your garage is too cluttered? Do you move because you were getting to much junk mail in your mailbox? LOL

Reasons for a permanent email
Never lose an old email, your entire email history stays with you forever

Never miss an email from an old friend or contact

You can send your friends a "once and for all" email letting them know that your new email where you can be found from now on

Easy access to your emails and contact list no matter how you change devices over the years (honestly, one day you might get a smartphone)

Never have to change the 1000 online places (various memberships, billing accounts, etc.) that you have supplied your email address

By the way, there are a few companies which already offer permanent email addresses that have done pretty well, you know like gmail.com, mail.yahoo.com and hotmail.com.

Yes, the USPS missed the boat. It is called email.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pikey that platform is already in place on etsy, spotfy, eBay , bonanza, overstocked, wazala, 1and1, ipage, paypal , and any well designed website. I don't see anything new stamps.com can bring.
Michael Darabaris
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Reasons for a permanent email ...

Congratulations, Don, you are explaining to me why *I* signed-up for pobox.com in 1996.

Quote:
... But by 1995, they should have made the decision to become the primary email host in this country ...

Why? Hotmail was a loss-leader. gMail was a loss-leader.

The vendors you mention that "did pretty well" pursued models that were starkly irrelevant to the USPS in 1995.

I know you know how to search, but here're two of a zillion articles on the subject:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mic...-why-2011-10 ... Why The Heck Does Microsoft Keep Investing In Hotmail? ... answer: to drive traffic to MSFT Windows applications.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Hotma...are-to-Gmail ... explains:

Quote:
... (Google) understood that advertisements to people reading email didn't work very well, but they also understood that they could vastly increase the revenue generated from advertising in their search engine by learning more about the people they were advertising to ... business model allowed Google to build an awesome email product without worrying about whether the product was profitable in isolation from their other products. The purpose of gmail was to collect data, whereas the purpose of Hotmail was to generate revenue through clicks on advertisements (emphasis mine)...

I think that it is supremely unrealistic to think that the USPS, which has spent many years trying to ramp-up-to-catch-up with UPS & FDX, should also have devoted limited talent & money to become an eMail service.

Teasing them for that is a cheap shot.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
9912 Posts
Posted 02/24/2019   05:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikey,
What you call a 'cheap shot' I call a legitimate criticism. My comment about gmail.com, mail.yahoo.com and hotmail.com was concerning the total number of users they have (well over 1.5 billion worldwide) as evidence for support of permanent email addresses.

My opinion and context may not be typical. Many stamp collectors limit their perspectives to just the stamp issuing era of postal history but humans have been driven to figure out ways to communicate with each other since they lived in caves. As you know the first form of postal systems consisted of messengers and horseback riders delivering verbal communications between villages and towns. This evolved to written communication long before anyone had any thoughts about using a 'stamp' to keep track of the accounting. I have always maintained that the internet was the next generation postal system. In my opinion the USPS sat on the sidelines as the internet came online and they missed the opportunity by not being involved in this next generation postal system. Clearly this is how humans are now communicating and closing the distances between themselves.

I believe that first class mail is in a death spiral as is evidenced by the direction of the rate structures. I think the day is coming that first class mail all but disappears and is 'replaced' with USPS overnight Flats. I also think the day is coming that the Congress allows the USPS to stop visiting every single mailbox every day (helped along with the new 'green deal'). I do not think that I have a 'supremely unrealistic' position and in fact the current US Postmaster General is now saying things like
Quote:
In the face of continued declines in correspondence mail volume, the Postal Service may need to continue to seek innovative ways to integrate digital features into physical pieces of correspondence mail to enhance the product's relevance to the American public.

'Integrate digital features '? The irony here is that the USPS is using email as the way to 'enhance the product's relevance'. For example, email is a critical component of their Informed Delivery service; acknowledging it as the far superior method for delivering timely information. The USPS is clinging to old school thinking but they are showing some glacial movement.

As an old guy, I personally have a love for 'old school' nostalgic stuff like stamps and books. Hell, I loved it when the milkman used to show up and left ice cold glass milk bottles on the back doorstep. I love tooling around in a 1950 Studebaker listening to the warm sound of an the 8 tube AM radio. But I am also being kept alive by bleeding edge technology (dialysis pun intended). The furnishings in my house reflects my ambivalence, a weird eclectic mix of antique things and technology.

If you do not agree with my context and opinions then I respect that (although I would not accuse you of posting opinions that contain 'cheap shots' or are 'unrealistic'). Ultimately time will make the determination on the correctness of our opinions.
Don
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/24/2019   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think that Ford & GM are missing the Next Big Thing in transportation when they fail to go head-to-head with SpaceX.

I do not think that FDX & UPS are missing the Next Big Thing in delivery when they fail to invest in 3D printing.

I do not think that AT&T and, later, The Baby Bells missed the boat when they failed to invest in Instant Messaging (a/k/a The New Gossip).

I do not think that oncologists miss the boat when they fail to invest in mega-vitamin therapy.

Just because something is going to pull away your customers does not mean that it is the right business for you.

Hotmail, Yahoo, and gMail all had indirect means of monetizing their eMail investments ... and two of them seem to have failed at turning that profit.

Q/ How was the USPS to monetize an investment in becoming "the primary email host in this country"?

Quote:
... My comment about gmail.com, mail.yahoo.com and hotmail.com was concerning the total number of users they have (well over 1.5 billion worldwide) as evidence for support of permanent email addresses ...

Perhaps this was only evidence for support of free eMail service.

Q/ If any of them had started charging, how permanent would those eMail addresses have been?

www.pobox.com got there (permanent email addresses) before any of them, but has never been more than a bit player ... because they charge cash money for the service.

The USPS was correct to invest in optimizing delivery (zip+4) and the parcel segment (still booming!) ... they had no business being in the eMail business, for which they had no viable revenue stream.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,577Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05