Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Want This But What Is Wrong With The Perfs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 651Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
350 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Louise411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I never saw perfs like this before, what is wrong with them the way they cross over each other and run into each other?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite normal Louise,
They are "Line Perforated" as many early stamps are.

"Comb perforated" usually are recognised with a similar "dent" at each corner. (Australian idiom)

Comb Left, Line Right.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/23/2019 02:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is normal for the time period in which these were issued. It wasn't until much later (maybe the 80s?) that "bulls-eye perfs" were introduced. Before that, the horizontal & vertical perfs did not normally meet at a common point. The older technique was called line perforation, the later stroke perforation.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both so much for the information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the interests of broadening the conversation, I would differ with JLL's comment about the frequency with which line perforating was used in the past. I don't collect US at all, so I can't comment about US, however comb perforating was the norm for foreign stamps at least as far back as the early 20th century. Certainly true of British, French Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Dutch areas. You do find stamps with line perfs in earlier stamps for these areas, but in my experience less commonly than comb.
Rest in Peace
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae,

you are right as far as stamps produced in typography are concerned. However stamps printed in recess - most of the pre-1970 stamps of the USA and Canada - could not be perforated by comb apparatus as the stamp paper got moistened before printing [wet recess] which made the paper stretch and shrink and so unreliable for combs! In the 1930-ies, however, dry recess was introduced and since then comb perforations were the norm. Still in the USA and Canada the printers stuck to line-perforation till the end of the last century.

Rein
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 651Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05