Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Young, Ladd & Coffin Imperfs Or Not (Rt26, 28, 30, 32)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 634Next Topic  
Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 02/25/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kbt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm guessing that with many imperforates, telling whether they are true imperfs vs. perforated stamps that have been trimmed can be a challenge. This is certainly true for the Young, Ladd & Coffin private die perfume stamps. I've seen plenty of copies of supposed imperfs that have clear traces of perfs along the cut edge. These two are not that easy:

Are there other means of determining the authenticity?... Perhaps a microscope to look for stress lines in the paper? MRI scan?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8290 Posts
Posted 02/25/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, the perforated stamps of this company tend to have fairly large margins. Also the used imperf examples often were cut close around the outside edges based on numerous pairs I have seen. The two cent shows evidence of perfs along the right vertical margin. The three cent has another problem common to trimmed stamps, multiple cuts on each margin. They are small stamps, so one cut with a scissors or razor would be enough, but these margins were carefully cut a little at a time as if someone was trying to remove the perfs but leave as much margin as possible left. I strongly suspect that using a 15X or 20X glass along the margins would show at least some evidence of perfs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revcollector - 02/25/2019 6:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i echo revcollector on these. the only way to go with a single is if it had traces of adjacent stamps showing, or as pairs imperf vertically between and even then the rest of the margins will be small to cut in.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8290 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the very least an example must have two large vertical margins. Genuine imperfs also tend to be a slightly different shade and impression, but that is very difficult to see unless one has multiple examples.
Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.

I can see what appears to be disturbances in the paper from perforations in the 3c under magnification. Nothing on the 3c, but I'm treating it as an imperf. I have several of these issues and the only ones I am certain about are the pairs.

I will compare the pairs to the singles for differences. Though I'm not sure what I would be looking for and how definitive any difference would be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
comparisons are a good idea. the size of the margin on the single stamp will help in deciding if it is a true imperf. the perforated singles are almost always large and in my experience seldom cut into the stamps. I have not seen vertical multiples of any of the y l & c stamps, but the spacing was probably similar.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05