Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Handy Gauge Nobody Uses.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,925Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought I would post this..I found 3 different new gauges at the bottom of a junk box I got from the local stamp club.

It's use ""The Thirkell Position Finder is for indicating the position of flaws, retouches, re-entries or other details on stamps
"".

Good if I have one and you have one to identify areas of Errors, Freaks and Oddities...Tell you the truth, I had not seen one before and by the look of the sleeve, it looks about 1960's.

See picture below.
Robert

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a sucker for specialty tools like this and will have to pick up one whenever I can find it. There's none on eBay right now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, its use was common during the era it is from. It was used extensively in several older reference books. Nice item to have, especially if you locate a variety or are searching out varieties along with other collectors who use the gauge. Easy to communicate the position of a find.

I bought a few "junk" boxes at auction over the years and still have not found one.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 02/26/2019 4:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1513 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find Robert
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.subwaystamp.com/THIRKELL...info/AGKTPF/

Coastwatcher..There are lots on eBay.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1288 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This link is for Unitrade Associates, printer of The Unitrade Specialty Catalogue of Canadaian Stamps, which sells the position finder. I've had one for many years.

http://unitradeassoc.com/Stampacc.htm#perf

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
556 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the sleeve with instructions on that old one. I have a tattered old cardboard perf gauge from my grandfather and it's still my favourite. Even though scared to use it too much in case it tears.
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even though scared to use it too much in case it tears.

Know what you mean gmot.

Also found this gauge below in the same box..Never seen it before either...Help BlackJag

Also found this one below (brand new) in the same box as the one above.

Also have been using these below..

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Interest.
Not Canada, but suits the thread title.........

Roland Brown Plating Guage, for the Great Britain 1d 1840-1864.
Volume 2; Die 1, Plates 46-91

Edited by rod222 - 02/26/2019 8:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1288 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert - the second one down measures perforations in serpentine die cuts such as those appearing in coils.

The others are normal perforation gauges.

The top one 'Ideal Guage' measures the number of holes in 20 CMs.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gmot, as an idea to save your grandfathers paper gauge; take that one to the printer. Get a copy made on similar card stock, and maybe get it laminated to protect it as well. Get a clear plastic sleeve to protect your original. The best thing you can do for paper gauges is to get them laminated. They will last much longer.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
556 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea! I'll look into that, and maybe post a pic of that old gauge when I return home in a few days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 02/26/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"...common during the era it is from..." !!!EXCUSE ME!!! (LOL) ....

For us "OLD COOTS" of the "B.C. Generation of Stamp Collectors" -- a generation who learned how to use more sophisticated and complicated hand tools like the slide rule that were invented "B.C." or "Before Computers", I think this is a fantastic stamp tool.

I grab these at my club whenever I can find a new one. It's the perfect tool to overlay over a stamp or cover to pinpoint and position EFOs, or properly measure cancels and auxiliary marks.

Us "OLD COOTS" would never use a plastic laminated paper perf gauge -- we prefer the aluminum-type that came out in the 1950s. This is the first one given to me by my father when I began collecting in the early 1950s. However, even these wear out after awhile.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal, I am laughing too! You know I was speaking about the gauge and not the persons using them, eh! I too am from 50's, "that era." Old coots- now there is a handle for someone to use on scf.

Slide rule, used that too in school, and learned about the metric system in the 70's when Canada changed to it. Talk to younger people today in imperial system and they literally think your nuts. They do no learn it at all.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Still got my slide rule from school..old school.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2855 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The image you posted is not a slide rule. Was that your intention?

Al
Edited by angore - 02/28/2019 08:37 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,925Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05