Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Handy Gauge Nobody Uses.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
6571 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore..Was that intended fo me or Hal...?

If it was for me, I was just trying to get across what was available to collectors before metal rulers came into existence..

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Got it. I thought you wanted to show a slide rule. I use a wooden ruler (with a metal edge) all the time.
Al
Edited by angore - 02/28/2019 12:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6571 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are giving information to another collector and if they both had the "Thirkell Gauge" they could relay the information of the flaw/error/oddity very precisely as shown below with a lob on my Newfoundland Scott 268 stamp between the loops of the letter "S" in cents...It would be identified as a lob in position F8.

Another use that a lot of collectors deal with is differences between different size stamp frame measurements..As shown below we can see at a glance that this stamp is exactly 11 width and 7 deep..It is so easy to look at a lot of stamps without dragging out the calipers, or computer screen measuring programs..You can tell at a glance whether all tamps are normal or oversized..Good trick.

Just something to think about.
Robert

Edited by wert - 03/01/2019 09:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1042 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike -- I got it from the beginning and Robert...and Robert, I still have my triangle rule from 7th grade drafting class too -- I love it! I also remember being taught the metric system in the U.S. school system in the mid 60s, in the event of conversion to the Metric System.

I pulled an old slide rule out of a junk box in my stamp closet a few weeks ago to show it to my 14 year-old granddaughter. She just looked at it in amazement. She didn't even want to learn how it worked; and to quote her, "...that looks stupid Poppy!" I truly believe my son and granddaughter have missed alot growing up in the time of computers.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal, I know you knew that you got it. Have got to agree with what you said about grandkids. No one is taught the basics of living, cooking ,sewing, repairing, gardening, etc. and living without electricity and computers these days. Unless it moves on a screen or comes out of a box from a store, and food that you can stick in a micowave most people would not no how to survive.

No wonder tradespeople ask $100 or more an hour to fix something, because they can, and if its made in China, throw it away and buy another because it costs too much to repair. Again, no wonder the world is in such a mess with the constant disposal of manufactured junk for the purpose of making the almighty dollar. Getting off the soap box here now and back to the main thread.

Interesting stamp tools of the trade shown by several along with several methods of measurement and calculating. I will be buying one of the "position finders" myself as it is great for referencing as shown by Robert.

But would it not be even more accurate to state the lower right corner of position F8 for more clarity?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1042 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll agree to that!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one and think it might be useful at times. The only drawbacks I find are the thickness of the grid lines on the position finder that often cross a mark I wish to reference completely hiding it. I would have thought they would use a finer line. Also wish the measuring scale was in 1/4 mm increments.
Pillar Of The Community
6571 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only drawbacks I find are the thickness of the grid lines

Agreed watermark..I think the good part of the gauge is still identify an area where re-entries - scratches - flaws can be useful giving locations to other collectors.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still use the same tongs, perf gauge, watermark tray and other tools from way back in 1972 when I started collecting. Also have one of the magnifying glasses that are mounted on a heavy cast metal base too from that era. Stuff made now is not even close to being the same quality as what was made back then. The one positive about now is that there is so much information out there online for stamp collectors. Back then, the average collector had very limited resources. Had to rely on the library for Scott catalogs. And of course, the good old HE Harris catalog. Still have everyone I ever bought. Fun to look through.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05