Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Calling All Experts! Need Help With Stamp Collection If Possible?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LoulEssex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

Thank you for allowing me to join your website. I have inherited my late grandfathers stamp collection amongst many other items of interest I have absolutely no clue about. I have dabbled in some research and quickly learnt that this requires a lot of time and attention to detail, not to mention commitment - something my grandfather really enjoyed andas much as I have no real passion or desire to become a stamp collector - especially that time is never on my side anyway - I'm quite intrigued to know if all those years my Gramps put into this hobby is of any value as whilst I was researching I came across many stamps he collected, with various prices, but of course I'm lacking anyn experience in knowing what determines the difference in price and with it being so vast, how the heck will I be able to establish this!!

So, basically I seperated the stamps into their countries, to the best of my ability, laid them all out and photographed them. I did read your rules with regards to posting images and noticed that your guidelines focus on uploading individual stamps so I hope Im not breaking any rules or upsetting anyone for uploading the following images, as I thought the best way forward would be to show experts and enthusiasts such as yourselves, to have a 'glance' at the pictures and whilst I understand it would be almost impossible to identify an individual stamp in this format, but maybe if a particular stamp stood out as a potential, you could advise me which one(s) and I could then pull them out and individually photograph them and re-upload, exposing more detail?

Any advice, assistance or guidence here would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks, and I look forward to learning more!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Brazil
59 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjac76 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, from what I could tell, his grandfather was an accumulator of stamps without a specific focus. He had stamps from several countries, with several different themes and from different eras. I noticed some sports stamps, animals and famous people that could be part of a thematic collection, but nothing too expensive or rare ... My advice would be to put on sale as is, since you have no time or interest in continuing his collection . I'd put it on one of those Ebay-type auction sites, starting at $ 10 to $ 15, and letting buyers decide how much it's worth, but I dont think the offerings would go up much higher than that. I hope this helps, good luck.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1277 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a suggestion. Take what you have to a local stamp club and have someone look it over. There appears to be nothing of significant value - IMHO.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4430 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   09:27 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a schoolboy's collection, with loose material of similar quality added over the years. If you don't want to keep it, I'd put it on eBay starting low.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1250 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Australia 1972 Christmas 35c isn't a bad stamp, assuming the condition is perfect. This stamp has been soaked off first day covers so collectors could have a 'used' example. It's nice to see a commercially used stamp!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05