Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS Loses 1.5 Billion Dollars In First Quarter Of New Fiscal Year

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3265 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Speaks for itself.

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/artic...ghed_by_stee

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1146 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One wonders how long this can be sustained....
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The fact is that salaries, benefits and the cost of additional transportation for the increase on packages drove up costs and, of course, the continual decline of First Class Mail, which is really the coal that stokes the engine that is supposed to pull the train just eats away at the balance sheet. The USPS does not lack volume. They have tons of it. The problem is the USPS is not allowed, by law to just have the cost of postage cover all the operating costs. Congress has yet to address the needs of the USPS. They just keep kicking the can down the street."

John
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   4:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One wonders how long this can be sustained....

Give it some time...as soon as some of the new young politicians (who probably have never even mailed a letter) figure out the carbon footprint of the 'last mile' Congress will dissolve the USPS.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3265 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No airplanes, pretty much not much mail.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26650 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

OK, lets see how the big fellas do it...........
Working for the richest man alive.

What is it like to work for Amazon Australia ?

I cannot see USPS being allowed this regime........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...ons/10807308
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222:

I simply cannot understand why ANYONE would subject themselves to such a work environment.
Given a choice, I would rather eat one less meal a day, live in a more modest place, drive
a banged up used car, etc. (you get the idea). This, in a nutshell, is a disgrace, whether
legal or not...

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3265 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gee, production quotas and expectations cause stress. How novel and horrible. Amazon should definitely dump their current business model and implement a do what you can do model. The orders will get filled when ever and people can just wait longer. Of course that is not what made them what they are but why not change what they have been doing and go the way of Sears. Then those jobs will be gone but the former workers will have much more leisure time. As far as casual employment goes the article did not say that it is illegal. Is it? I wonder if the union used in the story had much input. Hmmmmm

The Government should implement and enforce generous wage and employment laws and regulations that Amazon customers would gladly pay more for when purchasing. Right?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26650 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Share you feeling John,
I had is soooooo good, growing up in the sixties and seventies,
one had a job for life.
I feel for the kids these days.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam-

Respectfully disagree. We are not talking about simple stress here. I know a little bit about stress, having served on active duty in the United States Army for 20 years and 2 days (1974-1994). What is described in the article goes far beyond normal workplace stress, IMHO. My posting was simply an observation that it goes far beyond what I personally would tolerate. But, then again, I am just an older fellow who has a hard time understanding things such as this...

John
Learn More...
6968 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typical media spin.

Quote:
…ABC News has spoken to eight current and former employees…

Is eight an appropriate sample size? How did they pick these eight? Were they eight out of XX who fit the spin ABC wanted to tell? Of the eight, how many were former employees? Are not former employee much more likely to have lower opinions of an employer?

Today CNN admitted that they planted DNC operatives with questions in the audience with Bernie Sanders this week; questions which were designed to make him look bad. The media is out of control trying to 'fill' the 24/7 news cycle with 'breaking news' every 5 minutes and click bait. With reporters now being paid on how many clicks their articles get, the incentive is now to write whatever it takes to generate those clicks. This includes rushing to publish whether or not they have done any actual fact checking.

As consumers of the news, we have also changed. We now watch news to be affirmed, we no longer watch news to be informed. We watch only whatever news feed affirms our beliefs, and the news providers are happy to comply.
Don
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222:

So true. It was good (but not all good, of course).
My youngest just turned 30, and sometimes, I definitely feel out of touch.
Just the other day I was remembering watching the moon landing on television.
What an amazing moment that was. It truly was a different world back then.
I guess that makes me a dinosaur...

John
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nah, you're not a dinosaur.

I watched it on TV too!

I remember watching Walter Cronkite on the evening news and afterwards, they would scroll the names of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines killed in Vietnam that day, all superimposed over a picture of soldiers carrying wounded on a stretcher...

I remember the day Kennedy was assassinated. It scared the holy crap out of me because, as a kid, I'd never seen grown men cry. That was truly terrifying...

I remember my parents talking about how annoying the beeping of that damn satellite was. You know, the one the Russians put up there first - Sputnik...

I remember drinking Apple Beer and thinking how cool I was drinking "beer" as a kid while eating my moonpie. Then we'd get back on our bikes, after we'd properly attached the latest baseball cards so that the bike made that neat sound as the spoke of the wheel hit the card...

I remember rushing home from school as an eight year old to grab my rifle and go squirrel hunting in the fall, my fishing pole to go fishing in the spring and during the summer, you were outside from after breakfast until the street lights came on...

Water wasn't bottled, it came from anyone's garden hose or the public water fountains or any person you asked for a glass of tap water...

I remember sitting around and listening to my great uncle talk about being a fireman in the Navy. Even in his seventies his arms were huge. I'd learn later in life just how hard you worked as a fireman in the Navy. (P.S., they're the ones who shoveled coal into the furnaces for twelve hours a day).

I remember my grandparents wouldn't throw ANYTHING away. They had a huge assortment of metal coffee cans, filled with bits of string, or bolts, or old nails, or pull tabs from cans...

We were merciless to each other, constantly picking on each other, teasing everyone and laughing about it the whole time...

There were no computers, television was black and white and wasn't on 24 hours a day. There were only three channels, unless you lived in a bigger city and then you had four! CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS.

I spent much of my childhood playing in forests and swimming in ponds, hunting and fishing. We walked where we went and no one was overweight that I can remember (kids, that is). We went for long hikes and learned how to track animals, learned what plants we could eat and which to avoid...

And somewhere in all of that, these tiny little pieces of paper with magical images of dead presidents, monuments and events crept into my existence. Germany, Great Britain, Tunisia? Where were they? Who's this weird looking old guy who has a human head and a lion's body? Sphinx? What's that? Biplanes and jets for airmail...bicycle riders for special delivery...

And while I'm no longer able to go hiking, and have had to retire from hunting and fishing, I've still got those neat little pieces of paper to keep me company, even when I reminisce about my younger years.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3265 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if you put the tv on after 0100 you got a test pattern or something.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1146 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very little difference growing up in the 70s here in Australia Stampman2002
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002 -

John
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05