Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Re Ashton Potter Vs. Sennett Security Products?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 827Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
8 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Scotland 2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How do I tell the difference? I know this is a sophomoric question to the veterans on here, and I tried doing a google search before asking, but I can't find anything on the internet or on Mystic Stamp, Kenmore stamps, or Stampworld that tells me. So, I am appealing to the geniuses here.

Help?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 02/27/2019   11:52 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There os no simple answer that covers every design that was printed by both printers.

However, for coil stamps that were issued on rolls of 100 the vertical die cut pattern is different. The very top and bottom of the pattern on Ashton Potter stamps is perfectly vertical, while Sennett ones it is sloped.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As eyeonwall has noted, you can distinguish between APU & SSP (now BCA) coils by examining the die-cuts as he indicated. You can also take a quick look at the die-cut gauge used on the coils, as it is considerably different ... usually 9.5 for APU and 11 for SSP. In other words, there are more teeth along the side of an SSP/BCA coil.
For booklets, the die-cut gauges are usually identical, making a definite id more difficult. While there is no general rule that I know of, there are always minor differences. Included among these are location of microprint, date differences, design sizes, etc. E.g., for the 2018 flags, the APU dates were darker/heavier than their BCA counterparts. For 2019 flags, it is the BCA flags that have a heavier/darker date. Since these differences are usually on both the coils & the booklets, you could always first identify the coils via the die-cuts ... and then compare design details on the coils to the booklet stamps. But be forewarned ... occasionally one of the print vendors will muddy this comparison. On the 2018 flags, APU used different locations for the microprinted USPS on their coils & booklets. But since neither location was that used by BCA, one could still use this detail as an identifying characteristic.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scotland 2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, eyeonwall and JLLebbert. Very helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not recall a single issue where one could not determine SSP or AP by some characteristic that only needed at most a perf guage or a magnifier. The perfs are almost always different. Microprinting helps on some issues.

Brookman's online price file (what ends up in printed book)is very good a noting the distinguishing differences if one wanted an online method.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking at plate blocks or booklet panes, the letter which begins the plate number will identify the printer.

S - Sennett Security Products (and sometimes Banknote Corp when printing for Sennett Security Products)
B - Banknote Corp.
C - CCL
P - Ashton Potter

As others noted, the die cutting/perforations are unique to each company's printings. Scott Specialized catalog would be a major source of information on this.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 03/01/2019   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scotland 2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful information. Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 827Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05