Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Inherited Stamp Collection - Please Tell Me If Any Of Particular Interest???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

8 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mandmurf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would be very grateful for any thoughts of my newly inherited stamp collection as I have no idea if there are any of particular value. Many thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 02/28/2019   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the British section the Penny Reds may be worth a few dollars, though I see most are perforate, it does depend on the specific issue. The two pence blue is also a perf issue (later than the imperfs), and tend to be lower value but a few dollars.
The other countries all look to be modern (i.e. post 1940 issue), and of little value in monetary terms. I would say the sentimental value of this collection is where it is most appreciated.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 03/03/2019   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only other one I see that might be of any value is the Great Britain halfpenny "bantam" stamp on the first page. It's the dark reddish-brown one just below the block of four presumably penny blacks, but which are lifted off the page to show that they are stamped facsimile on the back. These of course are not even true stamps. But the halfpenny bantam (Scott 58, or Stanley Gibbons 48)could be worth a few bucks if it's a plate number 9, which catalogues 850 in either pounds or dollars. It's a long shot because plate 9 is pretty rare, and this example seems so heavily cancelled, it might be difficult to read the plate number which is in the scroll work just next to the number 1/2 on both sides of the stamp. The cover with the penny red imperforate stamp on it on the eighth page, probably Stanley Gibbons 8 looks a bit dodgy because the cancellation on the stamp, especially the bars at lower center don't seem to extend onto the envelope.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05