Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rt20 Obliteration - The Hard Way

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  
Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kbt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked up this curiosity. It is a RT20 C. B. Woodworth private die perfume stamp with the company name and city (Rochester NY) cut out. Eric Jackson has one where the obliteration is done via ink, but this is carefully cut (punched?) out. Has anyone seen this? Would the company do this or was this the work of some bored collector with a tiny pair of scissors?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i have seen the obliterated name version before, and Eric had told me a long time ago that a cut out version existed. googling the firm name shows some history but I did not see anything that would explain this. one possible explanation is a change of ownership or upper management. if this was close enough to the repeal of the tax, this method would have been cheaper than a change in the die.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thanks. I'd like to think the company did this. If so, it would make it even harder to remove the stamp, and there might not be a lot of them out there.

I keep thinking that a couple of strategic pin holes and you would have a nice smiley face!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a copy of the printed obliteration - my understanding is that the private die owner would obliterate the company name when they sold the stamp for use by another manufacturer (since they got a discount on purchases from their private die they could resell to another user at a small profit or maybe just get sell surplus stamps to raise cash).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other examples of obliterated names
Lanman & Kemp

Hall & Ruckel used by X. Bazin

Valued Member
85 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen the Lanman & Kemp obliterations. Now I will need to look out for them! Here is a Corning & Tappan RT4 I have with an obliteration:

Besides the X. Bazin obliteration/overprint I think the Seabury & Johnson RS217 is the only other listed in Scotts. Why not list these others?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8116 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had not seen the Lanman & Kemp obliteration's either. All the others I have seen before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are the only obliterated Lanman & Kemp stamps I have ever seen
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Seabury and & Johnson obliteration is a different animal - they were sued by Brandreth over the use of the word "porus" which Brandreth had copyrighted and had to stop using the word on their stamps
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another copy of the RT20 obliteration...

Here's another Corning...

And a Hall with obliteration and no X. Bazin...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/03/2019   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the lanman and kemps obliteration's may have come about due to the death of one of the partners around the time of the repeal of tax acts. it would have been cheaper to do that than change the die. if I remember correctly two types are known. the bazin's are from those sold by him and not by hall and ruckel. several different types are known. also known are manuscript cancels on the hall and ruckel stamps for use on good made by others but sold and stamped by them. if I recall correctly at some point there was an opinion by the commissioner that without formal approval no one but the registered user could order or use others stamps without a die change or identifying cancel. I think use of or sale of private die stamps to others would not have been in the original owners best interest.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05