Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Contemporary Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

682 Posts
Posted 03/04/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've reached a level of "sophistication" in my exhibit of the 1932 Olympic Winter Games stamp (Scott #716) that I'm really careful when I purchase "of the period" handpainted/lettered/colored FDCs since there are sellesr who take blank FDCs and add cachets using printers.

This two FDCs were recently listed on e bay as one-of-a-kind and "of the period". If true, this is the type of material that judges look for to be able to award more points to an exhibit.

From my initial viewing, I was leaning towards the idea that these were actually created in January 1932. However, It would be difficult to say unequivocally the FDC with the single stamp was created in 1932, but after viewing the block of four FDC I had no qualms about buying the two and adding them to my exhibit. Notice that the handmade air mail border at the UR is under the stamps: ergo, the design were made before being sent for the FDC.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1051 Posts
Posted 03/05/2019   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always so hard to be sure one way or the other with this kind of cover. Normally the best way to tell is to have provenance including other examples in other collections or advertisements during the period in stamp newspapers or magazines, or listings in cachet catalogs, etc. I doubt that they are 'one-of-a-kind' since the cachets on both of these are identical (which would not happen if each were hand drawn) with different hand coloring someone did after the fact which is different on each of these. Likely they are printed in black and white with water colors. Once a collector sets up a printing for a cachet I think it is not very likely that they would only have done two. If you wind up buying these and putting them in an exhibit I would not recommend describing them as 'unique' but perhaps a better adjective might be something like 'uncommon'. You make a good point about the hand colored airmail border on the first one being covered by the stamp that shows at least that that border was applied before the stamp and so it of the period, but from what I can see on my monitor the red and blue shades on that border are not the same red and blue shades that were used to color the cachet. This makes me wonder if the border and the coloring of the cachets were contemporaneous which suggests the possibly the cachets were added at a later time. This is not certain, but it raises a question in my mind. One possible 'test' that might suggest the cachets are contemporaneous might be to get out a powerful magnifying glass and on the one with the airmail border look closely to see if the paint used on the border is on top of the black line of the cachet in the bottom left corner. If the border paint is actually on top of that black line of the cachet then one could say that since the stamp is on top of the border paint in the upper right then the cachet was applied before the stamp and so is contemporaneous.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Kimo - 03/05/2019 01:28 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05