Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Planning To Go For My First Stamp Show Next Month

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AravindMichigan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Planning to go for my first stamp show next month. What shoiuld I be looking out for.. I have never dealt with a dealer. how do I make sure I dont get ripped off? WIll there be auctions? What other opportunities do they present? sorry for so many questions..
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aravind: Like you, I'm a new-comer (actually a returnee) to this game. I speak solely as a collector, not a dealer/seller. First, I recommend a free resource that you will find very useful: www.stampsmarter.com. Look at the tabs on the top of the page - see "buying online." I realize that's not quite on point, but the logic easily carries over to your conduct at a stamp show. Everyone has their own approach, but my two cents: (1) Before you attend, make a not-to-exceed budget in your head; pace yourself. (2) Start early, and take your time walking the floor to get a feel for what's available that day; (3) Make another round where you engage your chosen dealers... have a conversation about your interests and their niche offerings; it's doesn't hurt to let them know you are scoping the floor and you'll come back after gathering a feel for what's available... then (5) go back to your chosen dealers and purchase what you like. Take your time. Rushing will not benefit you. Now, I need to follow my own advice :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BFRomeos - Thanks for the tips.Appreciate it!
Valued Member
Canada
128 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stuart MacNeil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is how I approach an upcoming show. I make a list of what I need to fill certain spots. Then I make a list of what I want, and yes those lists are different. I take as much money as I am going to spend and when it's gone I go to the bar! Works for me!
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - Has anybody over here sold anything in a show? or are only dealers allowed to sell?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1410 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

What I used to do, before laptops and the Internet came along, is the following:

I would get a thin three-ring notebook, and I put in it my want lists, or, more often, just markings on photocopied catalog pages as to what I had and therefore I wanted everything else that wasn't marked.

I got one of those zippered pouches that kids use in school to hold their pencils and erasers inside of the three ring binder. I loaded it with things like tongs, magnifying glass, perforation gauge, pen, ruler, checkbook, APS membership card, and so on.

The zippered pouch was also used to hold my purchases, if they fit of course.

To save money, I would pack a lunch and eat in my car, instead of buying expensive hotel food at the show.

I've sold several things at a show, from books to collections. You just have to get to know your potential customer first. You won't be successful selling a high-end collection of U. S. cut squares to a dealer that specializes in Disney topicals, for instance.

But I sold several copies of my book Official Seals of the World to various dealers that mostly sold covers, because they encounter official seals fairly often.

Maybe this helps?

Jim
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James Drummond - All very good points-Noted.Thanks much!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AravindMichigan

I am not certain how shows are structured there, the ones I go to you have to book a table and pay a fee in order to sell. You can aproach the dealers to see what they would offer.

Hope this helps

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   6:58 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
has anybody here sold things st a stamp show?

It's not unusual for people to bring collections an offer them to dealers. Of course they won't be very interested in a common collection.This show is a good way to get your feet on the ground. Since you live nearby, I'd suggest one day to get the lay of the land and the 2nd day to make dome purchases.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never dealt with a dealer. how do I make sure I dont get ripped off?

One way of dealing with this is to listen as to how the dealer discusses items and prices with his better customers ... the ones that look like they know the dealer well and have purchased from them recently. They will usually have a selection that they chose, the dealer will count out the prices and items, and then the dealer will state a final price. You can at least get an idea for the correct "discount" by listening for, "Ok, that comes to $50.00. How does $35 sound to you?"

Just my two cents.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 03/07/2019   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I walk around first, to see what dealers are likely to suit my wallet, some Australian dealers have fabulous material, and so are their prices, I tend to find a dealer that has many countries offerings, with table top "credenzas" ?
that one can flip through, with written prices.

If you have a country you are familiar with, prices asked will become apparent, as good, fair or No Thanks. Experience will broaden this.

If you find a dealer you think is reasonable Grab a Seat!
Bending over those trestles can give one a bad back.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4402 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   06:02 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how do I make sure I dont get ripped off?

The only surefire way is to know your collecting area inside and out. Know the market. Know what else is available and what it sells for. If it's a big-ticket purchase, don't jump at the first one you see. Work the room and see what else is there and then circle back if needed, the exception being something truly scarce and one of a kind... then pounce. However, if you are just starting or filling in spots in a general collection, that is highly unlikely.

Do your research ahead of time. If you are looking for specific stamps, see what you can get them for online and in what condition. Browse completed eBay listings and see what similar items have sold for. Don't be afraid to print off eBay images and have them with you for comparison.

Examine stamps/covers extremely thoroughly before committing to purchase, both for faults and for accuracy/genuineness; dealers are not infallible.

Lighting at show venues can be abominable. Have a lighted magnifier with you. Have spare batteries. Bring your own tongs, preferably labeled with your initials (I use a black sharpie and then wrap the handle with a layer of clear scotch tape so it won't wear off. Then there's never any question whether the tongs are yours vs. the dealer's.

If you have a lengthy list of specific wants, print up several copies of a want list with your address, phone, and email to give to dealers to possibly look for material to contact you about after the show.

This will come only once you get familiar with their inventories, but if you can get a list of dealers before the show, plan your "route". If there are dealers that tailor to your specific collecting focus and who have dedicated/specialized clientele, make a beeline for them when the show doors open before they get cleaned out. There's nothing more depressing than hearing "oh, you should have hit me when the show opened, I had XXXXX and YYYY..." and yes, this happens more than you would think.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Dan's advice about planning your route. I do the majority of my sales during the first few hours of the first day of most shows. And if you're going to buy from any of the "Floor to Ceiling" worldwide stamp dealers, ie A&D, you have to literally run if you want a chair. But if you ask dealers for specific material and they're very busy, please circle back later in the day when things are quieter and the dealer can spend time helping you find what you're looking for or recommend other reputable dealers who should have it in stock.

As for avoiding problem dealers, you can generally count on the dealers who have returned to the show for several years as organizers are quick to not invite back those with too many complaints. Or ask other collectors at the show who they're happy buying from.

If your first show happens to be Garfield Perry Cleveland next week, I'd be glad to give you some more advice in person at booth #2.

Steve Taylor
https://stephentaylor.co.uk
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@kcaramat- Thats a good idea..scout one day and do purchases next day.. I also registered my kid for a beginner class..trying to get her into this..
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revenuecollector..good points.. just one question about this quote

Quote:
who have dedicated/specialized clientele, make a beeline for them when the show doors open before they get cleaned out.

I understand you might not get what you wanht , but the chance of they coming down in price is less in the beginning rather than end of the show depending on how much they sold..what do you think?
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@usinbritain - What is A&D? also my first show is probably going to be plymouth show in michigan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05