Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Planning To Go For My First Stamp Show Next Month

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Oh dear, nobody's mentioned the exhibits, where you can see things you'l never own, get clever ideas for new ancillary collections, add dimensions of understanding to what you already own, and spend, like, you know, nothing.

Quote:
Bring your own tongs, preferably labeled with your initials (I use a black sharpie and then wrap the handle with a layer of clear scotch tape so it won't wear off. Then there's never any question whether the tongs are yours vs. the dealer's.

Or, find someone who wears nail polish, and put a dab or two on the inside of the handles.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who also brings a personal (business-type) card with my eMail address legibly written, but that's me)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3738 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Point ikeyPikey

How could I forget Exhbits are one of best things about shows.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ikeypikey..spending nothing is going to be the hard part.. I get tempted by the looks sometimes and not how much its worth...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Thanks, D ... and I forgot to mention that the exhibits also can inspire you to break free of your mass-market published album, and instruct you on how to make your own pages ... at least for the stuff that does not fit easily into one little box.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United Kingdom
35 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A&D Stamps & Coins from California - checked their website and their next shows are Westpex SanFran, Portland, Denver & APS Summershow Omaha.

http://aanddstampsandcoins.com/#!/page_splash

They bring a large van full of stamps of the world and take up a large booth from the floor to nearly the ceiling. Their chairs have been full at every show I've seen them at, throughout the show.

Looking at the Plymouth show list, it doesn't appear that any of the "Floor to Ceiling" dealers will be there.

Steve Taylor
https://stephentaylor.co.uk
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@usinbritain.. Thanks for that info..do you see any interesting dealers in plymouth show list?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
35 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on what you collect: USA or foreign, stamps or postal history? Most show dealers specialize in one aspect, ie I focus on USA postal history. Unfortunately, the Plymouth show site doesn't offer links to dealer's websites or list their specializations. But it does give their email addresses and you could send one to them in advance letting them know what you're looking for and ask for replies if they carry what you collect. I receive that sort of email on a regular basis from show visitors.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@usinbritain..as of now I collect worldwide stamps..not really sure where to focus on..looking at your profile, I see you are from UK but exhibiting in cleveland,OH..Is it commom for international dealers to come to US stamp shows?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... as of now I collect worldwide stamps ... not really sure where to focus on ...

Why not get some ideas from the exhibits?

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

Maybe.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes ikeypikey.. I am looking forward to it..
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4705 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but the chance of they coming down in price is less in the beginning rather than end of the show depending on how much they sold..what do you think?

AravindMichigan,

National and/or specialty dealers are unlikely to lower their prices on 2nd or 3rd days of a show; they know they'll have fresh clientele at the the next show in a week or two. This approach might work with smaller local dealers.

With specialty material, cost is likely far less of an issue than availability. If you're filling spaces in a standard album, this is likely not an issue, but if you collect anything esoteric or unusual, then simply finding the material is the challenge. Over time you learn which dealers are likely to have (or even possibly might have) certain specialty material, and in those cases it is important to hit them right out of the gate.

If what you were looking for has already been sold, it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive it might have been. The point is moot.

The dynamics are different when you focus on material that isn't mainstream vs. fill-the-spot-in-the-album collecting (and I say that without criticism; there are certain countries I collect in that manner). As a general rule, garden-variety Scott-listed material can be had from numerous dealers at any given show . I can have my choice of dollar value Columbians, Zep sets, and other "rare" items (tongue planted firmly in cheek) from numerous dealers at any major show; all it takes is money. Finding truly scarce material, on the other hand, the cost isn't issue (and frequently the scarcity and cost do not correlate if the material is outside the mainstream); you just have to know whom to hit up, and even then you might strike out.
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/08/2019 2:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/08/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AravindMichigan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revenuecollector...i see what you are saying.. good point!
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
189 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great points for all us newbies.

Very excited to attend NZexpo in about 6 to 8 weeks. 1st expo..

Is it terrible to say I just want everything?

However I hope to have my collection somewhat catalogued but am flailing around just collecting like a.. well like an excited newbie!

Very nice to read these comments. They are very grounding for me. I especially like the comment re walking the floor and gauging the selections, and overlooking interactions with other prospective clients.

Il be maintaining phone contact so expect ridiculous, most likely annoying and slightly confused posts on the forums..Ha! I do promise to preview everything before I put them up!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05