Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Easter Stamps Not Seals From 1929-1931

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
334 Posts
Posted 03/10/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another find in the lot of Kilo Ware that I have not seen nor has a google search turned up anything.
Anyone seen or have these?
Thanks for looking and commenting.
Paul
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
456 Posts
Posted 03/10/2019   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. Got me wondering but is it possible that they were put out at Easter but have more to do with the side of the welfare of children in the family. My guess would be SPCC- as in Society for Prevention of Crulity to Children. And FWS- Family Welfare Services. The design, or seal at the top is not clear enough but may help in determining the country of origin.

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 03/10/2019 9:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 03/10/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mstamping to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Google has let me down as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3048 Posts
Posted 03/10/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dates, 1929, 1930 and 1931 seem to point to the Great Depression, which would definitely point to the need for increased Family Welfare Services. Probably just a promotional item meant to increase awareness, but I am also unsure of the origin.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/11/2019   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The icon appears to be a Saint overlooking mother and child.
I'd look for female saints beginning with P?
Female welfare service looks good.

Valued Member
Canada
456 Posts
Posted 03/11/2019   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, as for icon, I was not refering to the main image, but the little crest or seal "emblem" just at the top of the circle around the image.

Mike
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/11/2019   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, as for icon, I was not refering to the main image, but the little crest or seal "emblem" just at the top of the circle around the image.

Yes, I understood that Mike, and I agree, identifying the "arms" ? shield, would lead us to likely solve it, but it's too fuzzy.

I then went on to the central icon, a Saint (male or female) overlooking the poor or infirm.
It looks European, I don't recall US etc, using arms on their seals.

Edited by rod222 - 03/11/2019 10:09 pm
Valued Member
Canada
456 Posts
Posted 03/11/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I tried to blow it up and yes it was quite fuzzy. I thought of Monaco for some reason but no luck. Yes it does have a european flavor and quite possibly a saint looking over mother and child as you suggest. But for now, I still think it is as I guessed. I may be proven wrong, but heck, it is an item in need of research for sure. Enjoy this!

Mike
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/11/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Monaco! good choice, that led me to the stamps with 3 hills in the arms , dashed if I could remember what country.
I am leaving this thread now, these things can drive one crazy

Romania had a similar Icon........
Her Social Assistance
Valued Member
France
385 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why charity labels from Monaco (or Italy,Spain or Romania,or any european country except Britain) would be marked "Easter"?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25680 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valid point!
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, perhaps? They did exist but I don't know if they ever issued seals.

Donald
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
423 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first SPCC in the world was established in New York in 1874. Society for the Prevention of Child Cruelty. It gained popularity quickly across the US and into Europe, but by the 1920's had eroded, and largely fell into obscurity.
Given the depictions on the stamp, I'd call this 99% likely an issue by one of the societies. I'm still trying to figure out what FWS would be. (Note in the bottom of the design it states & F.W.S). Modern definition is Fish and Wildlife Services, so unlikely to be that.
Intriguing item though.
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not home where I can check but have you looked in the Mosbaugh's All Fund catalog?
Valued Member
Canada
456 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still contend to stick with my original post on this subject.

SPCC - Society for the Prevention of Crulity to Children
F.W.S. - family welfare services

What the Easter is doing on that issue - again I can only believe it was issued at that time of the year.
Edited by No1philatelist - 03/15/2019 9:42 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05